587,375 active members*
3,683 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

"working voltage" on cnc 3020...

Hi fellas,
    I have a cnc 3020 and I ordered a 400w spindle as a upgrade. This is what I bought... (CNC 400W Spindle Motor ER11 Mach3 PWM Speed Controller Mount Engraving Set | eBay) Now my question... I installed the board into my controller box and when i powered up the spindle the spindle spun for a second(even though the spindle control knob was turned all the way down and it shouldnt have moved) and then blew the breaker. Any idea on what happened here? When I contacted the seller he said my "i guess the working voltage is more then 60v"..... how do I tell how much working voltage I have? Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Re: "working voltage" on cnc 3020...

Nobody?

Was the original spindle one of those 240W items? As far as I know, those are sub 50V. Maybe the "breaker" (I presume you meant "fuse") was rated for the 240W motor, and thus blew on startup with your bigger motor. If you can post the Amp rating of the fuse, as well as the size of the original spindle, we can figure out what the new fuse size should be. Try a fuse with higher rating - If the Volts are in the 50V range, I would think about 10 or 12A would do the trick.

Also, you need to keep the rating of the supply transformer in mind. You should NOT put in a fuse that exceeds the rating of the transformer. The specs will be on a data plate / decal somewhere on the unit....

Thanks for the response... by "breaker" I meant my breaker in my shop in the breaker box. Not actually the fuse.. and yes im pretty sure it was either the 200 or 300w motor. So why would you think it would blow the breaker? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by H.I.P. View Post
    Was the original spindle one of those 240W items? As far as I know, those are sub 50V. Maybe the "breaker" (I presume you meant "fuse") was rated for the 240W motor, and thus blew on startup with your bigger motor. If you can post the Amp rating of the fuse, as well as the size of the original spindle, we can figure out what the new fuse size should be. Try a fuse with higher rating - If the Volts are in the 50V range, I would think about 10 or 12A would do the trick.

Also, you need to keep the rating of the supply transformer in mind. You should NOT put in a fuse that exceeds the rating of the transformer. The specs will be on a data plate / decal somewhere on the unit....

Oh.......strange. Was it the Earth Leakage (Main) breaker, or one of the breakers protecting a certain line. If that line was loaded to just below the point where it trips, there is a small chance that the spindle coming on was the straw that broke the camel's back.

To me it sounds more like there is a short circuit somewhere..... Try plugging it in on another outlet and see if the same happens.

Also, check if it is 110V / 230V, depending on what you normal voltage is...