Quote Originally Posted by RicknBeachcrest View Post
Center screw vs two screws. I have not doubt that two screws will keep the gantry more perpendicular than a single center screw, provided you don't loose any steps. I am curious as to if you use 2 home switches, one for each screw.

I think that what you cut and depth of cut will affect your success with using a center screw. Also the width of your X axis. Mine is about 24". I'm cutting wood and the largest end mill is 1/4" so my depth of cut is usually 1/8". So far, all has worked well. My home is in the left corner closest to me, so this is where I seem to do most of my cutting.

Again, just my opinion.
Rick

ps. I cut some small joints on my machine today and they came out really nice. I'll post some pics on my build thread.
I am guessing that one home switch will be enough either on the left or the right screw and that's my guess. I saw alot of center screws cutting 3/8 aluminium and using 1/2" end mills. They are also using smaller extrusions and 1/2" aluminium brackets. I am using bigger extrusions and 3/8" aluminium brackets and some 1/2" steel brackets (still questioning the use of steel) after I saw a lot of youtube videos with center screws and cutting thick aluminium very cleanly. The design here is 1100 mm for Y-Axis with 1000 mm cutting capacity & 800 mm X-Axis with about 650 mm cutting capacity (about 40" by 25" cutting capacity). Remember my y axis is the long axis.

Let's see as my goal is cutting aluminium more than wood.

Plan it, build it, try it and then modify it if necessary and that's my way. I know that I must do some fine tuning at the end and that's why the design here is modifiable even after the 100th cut.

Will check out the joints that you have done Rick for sure.