587,467 active members*
2,938 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Advice needed on digitizer pad

Question Advice needed on digitizer pad

Hi,

In college (and my first job after college) I used a digitizer pad with AutoCAD.

Fast forward "a few" years: I am working on starting up a small side business lasering artsy type items for people. I have been importing images into Draftsight and tracing over them with splines. I started thinking about digitizers and how much work that could save if I could tape the picture to the tablet and use a pen to trace them.

So, I just need some general advice on looking into digitizers. I don't even know where to start.

Money is an big issue. I don't care about high accuracy. Like I said, this is just for artsy type stuff. It doesn't need to be a big tablet either. 8.5"X11" would work, although bigger would be nice. And I'm still running XP, so it can be older.

I would love to hear from anyone who has experience with digitizers. Especially if you have one for sale that would work for me! Or if know where I could find one. Or even if there's a thread on CNC Zone already about this. I searched but didn't find anything.

Thanks!
    Mike

Oh yeah...if this would be better in a different area of the forum, either Mods please move it or let me know and I will re-post.
    - Schmidty

Put a pointer on a mouse and fasten the mouse to some linear rails so you can't twist it and will only move X, Y.

Kind of a do-it-yourself digitizer? Something to think about. Although, I would much rather take the easy route and buy one.
    - Schmidty

Hi there,

old thread... but..

I also had the same path. in college with a puck (actually I have a calcomp Drawingboard 4 with dust)... first job, tracing/cutting signs with a cutter plotter.

And I really want some advise on software to work with it (the same... tracing outlines from logos)

thanks

me to, can't beat a 16 button cursor in CAD

autocad has a sketch command for freehand drawing, but it's hard to trace art like that

I prefer a pen tablet and tracing on screen in photoshop, inkscape, corel draw or similar software

being able to zoom in and out on what you're tracing and not having to use paper patterns makes digitizers almost obsolete

CAD is great for drafting, but vector graphics software is better for art
    www.signtorch.com