587,744 active members*
3,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool Storing Cutoffs

Howdy,
    You know the pieces of tubing, round bar, flat bar, angle iron, square tubing, etc. in both steel and aluminum, sometimes brass, sometimes lexan or delrin, that are saved for other projects. I have been storing my cut-offs in a 5 drawer filing cabinet in the garage. This works okay, but each draw only has an inch of contents. The rest of the big drawer is wasted. In my effort to make space for a milling machine I'm taking a hint from Gem State Metals and making a rack to save these cut-off items on. In my shop everything has to be on wheels. I have a different way to store long pieces.

I had originally favored a metal rack, but costs drove me to wood. And wood is easier on the softer materials too. Which is fine, this will always be indoors, and I probably won't even paint it.

I'd like your thoughts on the design before I go buy wood and start using my new chop saw.

Thanks for the design review,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CutOffStorageRackV2014-03-12.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	163.2 KB 
ID:	228156
    http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho/default.html
    http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=999415

At first glance, it looks like it would be easy to tip over.

Quote Originally Posted by sperman View Post
    At first glance, it looks like it would be easy to tip over.
    Agreed. Are you super tight on space? If not I would say you should make it twice as wide and half as tall.

One thought: consider 6" PVC pipe -use foamcore, not the heavy stuff- cut in half, on a triangular frame. Toss a few cross-braces up and down the triangles in the middle. 4-6 feet long, with casters. I use something similar, but fix mounted to a back wall; amazing how much short and medium length stuff fits on a few pieces of big PVC. And it's all right where you can see it and grab the exact right hunk- great for economizing on material purchases.

Howdy,
    Thank you for the replies. I should have said up front that I have a bin for stuff shorter than 6" and I have vertical storage for 30" to 100" lengths.

Yes, I am very tight on space. My filing cabinet currently used for cut off storage is 15" wide and 60" tall and it is not tippy.

I have gotten some good suggestions today from friends. I'm going to brace the wheel mounts up to the frame. I'm going to add a bit to the bottom sides so that I can store sheet goods on each side.

I love design reviews. Thanks all,

kr
    http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho/default.html
    http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=999415

I had several of the cardboard tubes that the metal was shipped in, cut them into lengths of of 1, 2, and 3 ft long. Then I duct taped these together. So now my shorter pieces are stored vertically in this contraption. It doesn't take up a lot of room, accommodates various lengths and puts all the tubes I had laying around to good use. It's not pretty but it is functional.