587,424 active members*
3,305 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is £500 enough?

Hi first time poster here.

I'm looking to create a new business this business involves cutting small pieces of cardboard around 3 and 7 mm thick into complex shapes.

I have a very modest budget of £500 I recovered a quote from a company staying that £500 wouldn't even cover the cost of the software and that £7k is a more realistic budget.

I really want to start this company but I have no chance if the CNC machine is going to cost anywhere near £7k.

I am a marine engineer to trade and don't mind making this a DIY project I just want to know if it can be done for my tiny budget ?.

Thanks

£500 will just about get you a low end 40W laser on eBay. It should be up to the job, but they're renowned for being of dubious quality and needing a bit of tinkering to get them working. I've got one and am happy with it, by started with low expectations and considered it a project rather than purchasing a ready made fully working tool.

Do you know what kind of work piece area that would give me in looking for the most I could get for the money

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jbtRTV6uw

I am looking to hopefully get a system like this one in the video for around £500 , how likely do you think this budget is ?