587,126 active members*
2,729 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Esprit > ESPRIT-Opaque?

ESPRIT-Opaque?

Does anyone else experience failed multi-axis toolpaths and arcane error messages, or am I just really clueless with Esprit? I taught myself Surfcam years ago, ditto with gibbscam. I wasn't crazy about gibbs for moldmaking, but i don't remember any difficulties with Surfcam. I like Esprit, or I should say, I want to like Esprit, and it's all easy enough (incl 5-axis mill/turn) with prismatic parts, but applying (I think!) the same kinds of 5-axis toolpaths in the sample parts to real parts seems to have unexpected results, including many errors and failed toolpaths. Am I the only one beating my head against the wall using Esprit to create 4th and 5th axis continuous tool paths? Does anyone know what "Bad corrspondence between curve starting points" means with a failed Between Curves path? I have only had the basic training. Anyone having any success learning advanced miling and mill/turn on their own? Thanks for any insight, and sorry for the b*tching.

It has been a few years since I used Esprit. But I do remember the curve starting points need to be almost perfect to each other at times. You must also pick the correct curve first. If I remember right you have to select the lower curve first. I to remember a lot of head banging and trial and error with getting parameters set correctly. In the beginning I would build a simple continuous cut close to what the part needed and get the settings working on it. That eliminates having to have everything set just so in order to get a cut started then start applying settings to actual part. Esprit has a pretty long learning curve but in the end it is well worth it.

Tony,

Thanks for your response. I aligned the start points of the curves as closely as i could, but no luck. Esprit tech support finally told me that the walls of the feature were too steep for Between Curves. I guess i still have to say that the error message was not at all helpful. I have also used the technique you described to get the settings right, but I still wasn't able to apply the Mold Z-Level Roughing op on the side I wanted. Esprit tech support has that one, and if anything of interest comes of it, I'll post it here. A comprehensive BOOK for Esprit users would be very valuable, I think, but many CAM companies no longer print books. Back in the 90s I was able to teach myself Surfcam, partly, I think, because they sent a huge manual along with the software. I was able to start programming immediately, and had already programmed and built several molds before going to Surfcam training. I still think Esprit is far ahead of other CAM pkgs, but as you say, the learning curve is long.

Books? What are those! LOL!!! Eventually those error messages still won't make any since, but you will start to figure out what to look for when you get them. I am using MasterCam these days and most times you don't get an error message it just don't work. NO Explanation at all.

Hi, I am new in this forum, somebody could guide me, because I need help to create a post prossesor in ESPRIT for Okuma Genos L200E-MY , NC OSP200L

Hi, I am new in this forum, somebody could guide me, because I need help to create or modify a post prossesor in ESPRIT for Okuma Genos L200E-MY , NC OSP200L

(I learn how to programme in Esprit by my selft, but I need to improve)

Well, I'll take Esprit over Mastercam any day. I agree, an obscurely-worded error message is better than silence! I've made a great deal of progress with the 3d paths since my frustrated posting of 2/10/14.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolyatti View Post
    Well, I'll take Esprit over Mastercam any day. I agree, an obscurely-worded error message is better than silence! I've made a great deal of progress with the 3d paths since my frustrated posting of 2/10/14.
    Awesome!