587,138 active members*
3,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RPE's New Router CNC

Hi, This has been along time coming. This is a partial DIY and partial prebuilt CNC router. I'm using Precision Plasma carriage kit. The Z axis is a prebuilt unit off ebay. The rails are 16 gauge 2x2 stainless steel tube. The support rail's are 2x4 1/8" aluminum. The electronics are Gecko G540, Nema 23 steppers, 48 volt power supply and ESS Smoothstepper ( If I can get the DANG THANG to work :boxing. It will have a small rotary axis. Your opinions will be appreciated. I know this probably is not the best setup. I just hope it will work. I will post pics soon.

Here is the pics.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0136.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	218066

Name:	DSC_0137.jpg 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	218068

Are there bearings underneath the 2x2 rails to keep the moving gantry from jumping up when the wood starts to fight back?
    Paul Rowntree
    Vectric Gadgets, WarpDriver, StandingWave and Topo available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Yes there is.

Name:	DSC_0138.jpg 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	218082

I hope to get to the point of jogging the motors today. Right now I disassembled what I had and filed down all the sharp edges on the tubing. The aluminum was easy the stainless was hard. I'm installing the steppers and mount the rack's with emblem tape. When I get that done I will put it back together hook up the electronics and see what happens.

Well yesterday got messed up. A friend asked me to help with busted water lines. I got busy this morning putting it back together. It works fine except I can't find where to change the direction of the motors. My X axis has 2 steppers on it. One of the motors turns the wrong direction. Where in Mach3 do you change motor direction?

Config >Homing/Limits - Check the "Reverse" column.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Ger21, It works fine now. I have two more problems I didn't order enough stepper wire and the stainless tubes have a bad ringing noise when the steppers move.

1) Will it be okay to splice more wire to the steppers or should I buy new wire?
    2) How to solve the ringing noise? I'm thinking of expanding spray foam.