587,402 active members*
3,161 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC router

CNC router

Hello, I was just in woodworking show and I'm interested of buying the Carvewright CNC machine is this worth it? in not any suggestion of what to buy. I need it just for a hobby and I'm using it in my garage so not a lot of room I'm looking for a small cnc that can carve some woods. thanks

i have carvewright machine it a nice little machine, if you like to caving stuff from a ready build 3d model it a handy machine to have and it very easy to learn. but the the cad interface it very limited and it not easy to use. Even though i have work with all the major industrial cad program. an other thing is the machine is make a lot of noise when i have the machine running in my garage i have to build a wooden box to cover the whole machine up. and this machine have a useless dirt collection system. if you plan to use this machine in the garage then prepare to get *****ing at from your wife about the dirt an other broblem with this machine is, the tool holder don't last very long i used this machine for about a year i replace 3 tracking belt and 4 tool holder and 1 spindle cable. and one thing i like about this machine is you can have an infinite leght of your work piece. i haven used this machine within the last 7 year. in my opinion this not a bad machine for the price you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by cncnewbies View Post
    i have carvewright machine it a nice little machine, if you like to caving stuff from a ready build 3d model it a handy machine to have and it very easy to learn. but the the cad interface it very limited and it not easy to use. Even though i have work with all the major industrial cad program. an other thing is the machine is make a lot of noise when i have the machine running in my garage i have to build a wooden box to cover the whole machine up. and this machine have a useless dirt collection system. if you plan to use this machine in the garage then prepare to get *****ing at from your wife about the dirt an other broblem with this machine is, the tool holder don't last very long i used this machine for about a year i replace 3 tracking belt and 4 tool holder and 1 spindle cable. and one thing i like about this machine is you can have an infinite leght of your work piece. i haven used this machine within the last 7 year. in my opinion this not a bad machine for the price you pay for.

Well, there are quite a few things new about the CarveWright, since CNCNewbies purchased 7 years ago. Here are a few that address specific limitations that he has mentioned:

1. Toolholder (spindle): The new CarveTight spindle replaced the old style Quick Change chuck in April 2010.

2. Replacing belts: All machines comes with the Heavy Duty Traction Belts now, instead of the sandpaper belts that you could easily rip.

3. CAD-Limitations: There are many new software tools including ones such as DXF Importer for 3rd party cad packages and 2d Vector Drawing Suite for more advanced CAD-like tools.

4. Ready built 3d models: There are over 7,000 patterns to choose from, but now you can also use the STL Importer to bring in a 3d graphic models created from 3rd party 3d software OR you can make your own patterns using the 3d Pattern Modeling Suite.

5. Noise: It is after all a machine cutting wood, however the new spindle is much quieter. We also have a new solution coming soon that will make it even quieter still.

6. Dust Collection: there are two great options for the CW. One is RingNeckBlues DC Insert & the other is Erwin's Dust Devil. Each insert fits into the front of the machine pulling sawdust from where the bit creates it using your own Dust Collection system.
    Sales & Marketing Manager for LHR Technologies, the makers of CarveWright.