587,177 active members*
3,385 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Sprutcam 8 tool selection reverting back to default tool

Sprutcam 8 tool selection reverting back to default tool

I've been using Sprutcam 8 for a while and have figured out many of its small quirks. But the one quirk that I cannot seem to get around it that after I select my tool and change to the speeds and feeds page or strategy etc Sprutcam changes my tool back to the default tool. Is there any fix or work around??? I've tried to upgrade to the latest and greatest but so far no new upgrades.

Thanks

I use sprut 7, and in the tool table I select the tool I want, then change the feeds and speeds, then go to the tool table and tell it to add the tool, it says that there is one of the same number do I want to replace that tool, click yes to replace the tool, it should retain the new settings the next time you select it.
    I am assuming that 7 and 8 are basically the same in this regard..
    mike sr

In sprut7 is there a setting so it does not use the tool library id as the tool number? I remember reading about it but can not find the post.

Yes there is an option for something like that only I thought it was an arbitrary number or the tool number from the list. I will go check it out as I dont remember how to get there.
    mike sr

Bring up Sprut, click on machines, work with tools library, check or uncheck the box labeled "use tool number from the library", this is in sprut 7 though.
    mike sr

This zinged me the other day in 8. I usually seem to avoid the problem, but this time I changed a feed speed or something and everything looked fine, including simulation.

So I processed it into a program and ran it on my 1100. On the second tool I look up and it wants WHAT? TOOL 0?

I had to go back and fix the problem then hack it to start at the second tool. I am awful glad I don't have an ATC. That might have sucked. I think I am going to write a post-post processor that checks for default tools and other foibles. For example, removing all M03s when I'm using a diamond drag tool. As I've learned about CNC I realize how simple G code, etc. are and writing tools to at least check them is quite simple.

scottsss,
    Yes what you write about is a pain; the fix is to highlight the tool you want and then click on the select button at the bottom of the tool list and it will stay selected.

Is that any different than double clicking on a tool in the tool list?

In 7 you could double click and it would select fine but in 8 it doesn't always. Eric if I remember right said just select the tool with the select button. I haven't had an issue since. Double click or pick tool and select, still 2 clicks. Anyway the problem for me is no more

I am going to be trying that for sure.

I set up defaults for the procedures I use the most, that includes tool number, speeds, feeds.......helps get everything right in those areas. allows me to concentrate on other settings and geometry.
    I also double and triple check tool selection numbers and offsets before compile to avoid this getting all the way to machine.
    And I still get a drill bit now and then that has the wrong number

Then I do quick check of tool list in gcode at mill and compare to mach tool list numbers and offsets.
    I had one in there I changed a drill and offset and it ended with a 0 offset wrong "broke my first tool"
    In short a quick check of tool numbers, offsets in mach tool table , g-code and tool tray before I run program.
    hope this helps
    md