587,482 active members*
3,580 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Is it OK to remove Servo motor front casing?

Is it OK to remove Servo motor front casing?

I am making some mounts to CNC my RF45. I would like to remove the front casing on my NEMA 34 servo motors (see here). Without removing the casing I have to cut reliefs into the mount to accommodate small ports that are on the servo. Ideally I would like to slip off the front cover (with the bolt holes) and simply slide the servo into my mount, then bolt it back together. I am not sure if there is some golden rule that states one should never remove these covers? I have not seen others do it so I am unsure.

You can usually remove the front bell housing or end plate, I would remove the brushes first as a precaution.
    If you have access to a press, it will make sure the armature stays in the rear bearing.
    Also if an encoder is mounted on the rear this ideally should be removed also.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

It is not wise to disassemble steppers or servo motors. Doing so can cause a loss of magnetization, which reduces torque. There is also a good chance of getting crud inside the motor, which can be extremely difficult to get out. With the very tight air gap between rotor and stator, this can also affect performance. Seems like a bad trade-off just to avoid removing a little metal from the mounts....

Regards,
    Ray L.

I have heard the stories of demagnetization, and so far for some reason it seems to be prevalent in steppers.
    I have dismantled many servo's in my time with no detrimental effects, also it depends on the characteristics of the P.M. material, many manufacturers will declare that dismantling is possible with some of the rare earth magnets used now.
    Having said that, the OP does not really need to remove the armature as all he want to do is remove the front mounting plate, which can be done without removing the armature.
    Al.

Albert E.

i too have disassembled many servo motors without issues. Some motors require a round sleeve to keep the magnets from debonding if left unassembled for a long period.

Sent from my Quantum using Tapatalk

That can be done, a sleeve for BLDC P.M. rotors or a steel plug for P.M. brushed.
    Care has to be taken to avoid dislodging the P.M.'s especially on a DC brushed, also when replacing the armature.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks for the suggestions. It helps clarify the magnetism issue that I vaguely recalled. If anything it just helps me understand that I need to know what I am doing prior to removing the front casing. The last thing I want to do is upset the torque integrity of my motors. That being said, the cutouts somewhat reduce the integrity of the mounts themselves. I might have to redesign somewhat. The port holes on the motor are quite the pain and certainly go a long way to "uglify" my mounts.

Having err practical experience here I can tell you that steppers will demagnetize very quickly if disassembled so those should not be touched.

When it comes to servo motors they seem to be more forgiving but as always a check with the manufacture might be in order.

The bigger issue in my opinion, that has already been pointed out, is that these motors can suck in chips like you won't believe and then defy all efforts at trying to remove the chips or slivers.

Quote Originally Posted by spv123 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. It helps clarify the magnetism issue that I vaguely recalled. If anything it just helps me understand that I need to know what I am doing prior to removing the front casing. The last thing I want to do is upset the torque integrity of my motors. That being said, the cutouts somewhat reduce the integrity of the mounts themselves. I might have to redesign somewhat. The port holes on the motor are quite the pain and certainly go a long way to "uglify" my mounts.
    Ugly or not I'd avoid trying to modify the motors.