587,143 active members*
4,647 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > GCode Simulator for Hobbiest?

GCode Simulator for Hobbiest?

Short Version of Question
    I am pretty confident that I can write the g-code to make the parts I want to make. However, I would like to have some sort of check on my newbie tool-path before I waste my friend's time on his CNC machine. I have not had much luck finding a software tool to use to visualize the tool-path.

What is the most affordable option for hobbyists wanting to visualize a g-code toolpath?

OpenSCAM looks like it was supposed to be exactly what I want. Unfortunately it crashes every time I edit the tools or save a project.

Back Story In Case it Helps
    I am very very new to CNC and I know that I probably don't even know the correct questions to ask. So here is the context of my question in case it helps.

I am hoping to build or buy a CNC router next year. I can just barely afford a machine but cannot afford to spend lots of money on software too. I definitely cannot afford the CAM software my friends use on their CNC router (costs $1K+). So I am trying to do a proof-of-concept that I can do an end to end workflow from idea to design to gcode to cutting.

I've looked at some of the affordable CAM software packages. The parts I am cutting have a number of tool changes for different types of surfaces but the patterns are all nice strait lines or circles. Quite frankly I am fairly confident it will be easier to just hand write the gcode than to duplicate the design in the CAM software after designing it in CAD; even after allowing for finishing passes, etc. the commercial CAM packages seem to add very little value for my application... except they allow you to visualize the generated tool path.

There are lots of free CAM options, I'm not the one to talk about them. If you programs are simple enough that you can easily write them by hand, I'd think it would be easy enough to check your work by hand as well to make sure what you did makes sense.

Try this: Untitled Page

jgro
    http://jgroshoppages.blogspot.com/

NC Corrector NC Corrector, free G-Code editor.

Martin.