587,518 active members*
3,265 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > ArcLight...LDR Motion Systems Which one?

ArcLight...LDR Motion Systems Which one?

Hey guys just wanting opinions / experience with the ArcLight Dynamics 5x10 and LDR motion systems 5x10 tables. Which one is better? I like the ArcLight simply because it is close to us, but LDR seems to have basically the same options for about 2k less. What are your thoughts? I realize these are not elite expensive machines, and that is fine as I am looking for basic machinery part cutting ability.

THOUGHTS PLEASE! THANKS!!!

mods feel free to move if this is wrong section. New to the sight

bump

thoughts??

bump

hello???

Re: ArcLight...LDR Motion Systems Which one?

I just ordered my table about six weeks ago. I narrowed down my choices to the ArcLight and the LDR Motion Systems tables. For me, it was an easy choice based on two criteria:

1. Table frame: The LDR is 100% welded steel construction while the ArcLight is aluminum bolt together modular framing. Sorry, but if I'm putting 1/4" plate or 3/8" plate on the table, I don't want to be worrying about loose screws on aluminum framing. I wish the tubing on the LDR was a little beefier, but I'm not going to be using it every day so I'm sure it will be just fine.
    2. Water table: This is also a no brainer. The LDR bladder style water table has water height control, little water evaporation compared to a float style water table, and it is much easier to clean out swarf and scrap.

Did you get your table? Is it up and running? Any issues? Any stories to share? What options did you get with it?
    I am looking at both these systems and the Percision Plasma / CandCNC. Any more thoughts to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan1010 View Post
    Did you get your table? Is it up and running? Any issues? Any stories to share? What options did you get with it?
    I am looking at both these systems and the Percision Plasma / CandCNC. Any more thoughts to share?
    Interesting that you should ask... the table is being delivered tomorrow. There were delays in shipping from New York due to weather and location (LDR is located 100 miles from nowhere).

I ordered a 5x10 table with the air bladder water table feature. I also purchased the plate marker, router, rotary table and Hypertherm Powermax 105 plasma. In addition, I ordered a Tormach CNC Scanner which I plan to incorporate into the machine. Here's my reasons for each option:

> Air Bladder Water Table: we hand plasma cut now... the shop fills with smoke quickly. The size of the table eliminates downdraft since it would require an enormous dust collector (I know because we build and sell dust collectors). I've seen water tables work... they work well at containing the smoke but an air bladder table uses less water (less evaporation) and has the unique ability to be able to quickly and easily access small parts that have fallen through the slats by simply lowering the water level.
    > Plate Marker: we fabricate so having the plate marker makes it easy for us to mark our bend lines and put part numbers on the parts.
    > Router: we will be using the router to make our control panel face plates out of laminated multi-colored plastic. We'll use it to cut holes and make legends.
    > Rotary Table: the rotary table will be used to make custom ducting for some of our equipment. It will be ideal for building elbows, wyes and transitions.
    > Scanner: I'm planning on using the scanner to reverse engineer parts. I can lay the part on the bed of the machine and scan it. The software that comes with the scanner will translate the edges of the part into a drawing that I can use to plasma cut a new part.
    > PowerMax 105 Plasma: we occasionally need to cut steel up to 1.5" thick... I needed something capable of cutting thick steel. I'm not even certain the PowerMax 105 will be sufficient. However, if it isn't, I will convert it to a hand plasma and get a different plasma source for the table.

Since I don't have the machine up and running yet, I don't have any cutting experience stories. However, let me tell you about Dan and Tim - the owners/operators/sole employees of LDR. I went up for training the beginning of December (a week after that monster snow storm in Buffalo). I flew into Rochester, NY then proceeded to drive five hours in a snowstorm to the hotel in Potsdam. Early the next morning, I drive thirteen miles out of town to their shop. I was met by Dan, Tim and Rudy (Tim's gigantic and overly friendly dog). We got acquainted for a few minutes, Dan showed me my machine operating then we immediately got started on training. Dan made certain to get a good understanding of everything we intended to do with the machine so that he could customize the training around our needs.The training focuses mainly around learning the basics of the software so that you can use the machine when it arrives in your shop. However, there is also time spent getting to know the machine so we don't break it when it arrives. Dan answered every question and he was there to guide me as I did a drawing and prepared to cut it. We used every option on the machine except the router. The training can be done in one day, but they are very open to spending two days if required.

After spending 1.5 days with Dan and Tim, getting to see the construction of the machine and seeing the machine operate, I believe that I made the right decision. Since this machine will be used in a business, it made no sense to me to buy a machine that doesn't have a welded frame. Therefore, in that respect, I am confident I made the right decision. I also believe that I will be able to count on Dan and Tim to readily provide guidance after the sale.

I'm very excited to get the machine tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out right now how I will have time in our schedule to get it operational this week!

Very cool! Thanks for the info. They sound like a good company. Please let me know how things progress.

Is he using the CandCNC EitherCut with DTHC IV or is he still using the older models that use the parallel port (from his videos)?

I can't tell from the photos on the LDR site; can you tell me a little about the guide rails. It appears they are inverse angle on top of a bigger angle iron. Did you have any concern about that vs a thick cold rolled guide? Can it take the load of the gantry and a router and not flex or vibrate?

Where are you located?
    Congrats! I bet you are chomping at the bit. 😀

Alan

I would love to hear an update on your new table. Are you up and running? All going as expected?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan1010 View Post
    I would love to hear an update on your new table. Are you up and running? All going as expected?

Alan
    Sorry, Alan. I've been crazy, hectic with my business since the beginning of January. I haven't had any time to spend on forums. (We build cartridge dust collectors, wet dust collectors, downdraft tables, environmental control booths, blast rooms, blast cabinets (manual and automated), abrasive reclaim systems, custom fabrications and prototype equipment.)

The table is up and running. There have been a few minor issues; most have been operator induced. However, Dan at LDR has been very generous with his time to resolve the issues. Since January, I've already logged over 400 hours on the machine. I fully expect it to stay that busy into the future. I love the air bladder water table. There is very little smoke that escapes so the shop stays smoke free. I would say that the machine has met or exceeded my expectations.