587,591 active members*
4,154 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Constant offset tooling for er-16

Constant offset tooling for er-16

I am looking for some sort of constant offset tooling for my er-16 spindle on my taig mill.

I saw this one but what sort of concentricity (is that even the right term?) can even expect with a system like that?

What about blank collets that retain the endmill via a set screw? What sort of accuracy can you expect with that?

Collars on the end mill that just repeat the tool height what sort of repeatability can expect changing back and forth?

I also saw this , he claims .0005 concentricity, at im not sure what distance away from the spindle nose but that seems like an alright system?

The last link with the concentricity. Has to do with how true the mills center core is while it's spinning. The length of your mill and it's trueness ((is that a word?)) would result in the final run out. Quality and over all abuse would have those numbers vary some.

It doesn't have anything to do with tool height. Specifically.

If you goto Swede's website at www.5bears.com, under cnc mill.

He has a little tool that he made to set stop collars on mills. Which allow him to retain a "known" tool height.

I planned to use that, or a tormach type setup in my r8 spindle.

You should be able to get good repeatability with one of the set screw style holders. You just label is as tool1, then measure it's offset. Then you have another one for tool2, with another offset.

These offsets should be retained in a list of tools for your machining software. You just make sure you put the correct tool in the mill, at the correct tool change time. The machine should be able to make adjustments based on your recorded offset.

((hope that makes sense))

Oh, in follow up to your post with the rapid tool changer by hightechsystemsllc.

I'm extreme interest in any follow ups from other users.

http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/in...s/Page1416.htm

They appear to have a rapid tool changer for r8. I'm curious to the amount of side cutting force that they can handle. As well as run out/repeatability between changes.

**time to shoot them an email**

149 bucks for their system and 5 collets looks like a pretty good deal, assuming it's well made.

The 5bears method looks very promising unfortunatly the site he gives only caries stops for 1/8 shank, know where to get other sizes?

I've never looked into it to much. If you have a lathe, you should be able to make them fairly easy.

I'll see if I can search for them tomorrow.

I have the High Tech tool changer on my Taig.

I love it, it's the best modification I have made. I also have the High Tech vise and tooling plate.

All parts are of very high quality. Can't be beat for the money. I highly recommend High Tech.

Mike

P.S. I have not measured the runout and I do not think I will. There was no difference in the quality of cut after I added the tool changer. Works for me.

FYI

Response email from HighTech

The runout varies with the spindle and the mill. It is around .002"
    give or take alittle. Repeatibilty is extremely good. I haven't even
    measured it because it is not a factor. I am sure it is within a
    .0002". The holding power of the spindle right now is rated for 1hp
    spindles. It will have some deflection because you are extending the
    lenght of the spindle.

You can specify which 5 tools you would like. Such as 5 (1/8) ect.

Looks like a pretty good deal, I may have to pick it up.

Trying to find out how much z travel you loose with the adapater.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesos1
    I have the High Tech tool changer on my Taig.

I love it, it's the best modification I have made. I also have the High Tech vise and tooling plate.

All parts are of very high quality. Can't be beat for the money. I highly recommend High Tech.

Mike

P.S. I have not measured the runout and I do not think I will. There was no difference in the quality of cut after I added the tool changer. Works for me.
    This looks interesting but can you expalin, as I can't make it out in the video, this tool holder has a straight shank and would be held in a chuck or collet? or is it an R8 shank.

thank you.
    Owen

From what I gathered/read. You need to have it in a collet.

**Installs directly into a 3/4” collet such as R-8 on the mill.**

I'd assume that you would want to get the best collet you can find.

The biggest hangup for me currently is the amount of z-axis that you might lose with having it installed, and how much room you need to replace the tool.

I'm definately looking at this and the tormach system. Price seems to be comparable, with the exception that the tormach system is not really a quick change. But you appear to gain more z height.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant
    The biggest hangup for me currently is the amount of z-axis that you might lose with having it installed, and how much room you need to replace the tool.
    Does anyone know the over all height of the actual tool holder?

Owen

I sent the company a followup email asking about that.

Got a pretty fast reponse on the first question. I'll post the follow up.

You loose about 2.25" if you can't raise the z up.

From response email.

So will this work with the ER-16 spindle that is used on some Taig mills?

Thanks
    jonblack

Nick Carter has a Magnetic Spindle Depth Stop description on his pages. I switched from the High Tech to and ER spindle and the depth stop mod, and love it along with the extra Z clearance.

The end mill holder, by White Wolf, you linked to is for the standard Taig spindle, they do sell one for the ER16, but it's only for a 1/2" end mill.
    GlenBA
    www.lathedweller.com