587,481 active members*
2,837 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Show how to build a CNC machine from the very beginning to the end
Page 22 of 184 1220212223243272122
    Quote Originally Posted by Topdecking View Post
    Considering that some folks buy Tormach heads for projects (like another seen in this section), it would be interesting if you were to offer head assemblies (casing, spindle, and/or motor)
    Hi,
    Yes,as an assembled unit.. This can be avaliable from us
    www.skyfirecnc.com
    Email: [email protected]; Skype: skyfirecnc

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi Sky, that BT30 spindle looks very professional.......I'm awed by the design of the gripper inside, it looks so logical when you see it in the light of day.

One thing I wanted to ask about...........now that you have achieved the splitting and clamping of the the head casting for the 80mm spindle special order, and seeing as how I am impressed by the nature of the clamping arrangement, can we order the SVM-0 with a split head too, to hold the ISO20 and 65mm high speed spindles.......this is so much better than a ring of bolts on the bottom face........in my opinion, very humbly.

BTW, it was indeed very fortuitous that the side wall thickness of the head allowed you to have the opportunity to drill and tap into it for the retainer bolts.....normally one would expect the wall thickness to be quite thin to save on weight in the Z area.

The last question is..........with the ISO20 spindle does the draw bar end have the retainer pin gripper arrangement for tool retention like the BT30 spindle, or is it just a screwed end into the end of the ISO tool shank?

I can't remember if it was so when the ISO 20 spindle was mentioned as the solution to tool changing back in the posts previously.

Without the retainer pin/gripper arrangement on the end of the drawbar (for QCT) like the BT30, there would be no point in having ISO 20 tooling as the screw in drawbar makes it only manual and very time consuming to release the tooling, which is what I wanted to avoid with the ER set-up.

I hope this can work out as I'm on the starting blocks waiting for the starting gun....LOL.
    Ian.
    Yes, I think clamping head is no problem for high speed spindle because high speed spindles always work with smaller cutting force. This way normally will not be used on milling machines because cutting force is much larger than high speed spindle. So flange type is strongger than clamping spindles.

SVM-0 casting wall thickness is about 12mm so it can be made clamping type. I know many other macine casting thickness is about 8-10mm---not for saving Z weight, but for saving casting cost. but you know, rigidity is much depend on the wall thickness..

Yes, Of ourse the ISO20 spindle has similiar gripper and drawbar, disksprings inside. not the screw drawbar. If not, the ISO20 spindle will totally make no sense. I'd rather to go with R8 then. I will post a ISO20 gripper picture later.. just in another computer.

I'm very busy on the website construction now. I've been thinking about paypal support but paypal has huge cost to effect the machine price. So I plan to go with wire transfer payment method as formal B2B,B2C business contracts. I hope the website can open before the end of this month.
    www.skyfirecnc.com

This is the half assembled ISO20 spindle. You can see the gripper clearly the same type like BT30..

www.skyfirecnc.com

Ordered the BT30 spindle, payed, and waiting for the yellow packed wooden crate to arrive at my door

Hi Sky, that's a nice looking spindle.....that will cover all the bases for milling etc.

As I am interested in connectivity and conformity in most things allied to engineering so that you get the most for the least amount of hardware inventory, I'd like to get a refresh on the head set-up option.

The high speed spindle is 65mm diam and it is retained by the clamping force of the split head.

Does the ISO 20 spindle also have a 65mm body diam so that it can be clamped in a similar manner?

I know it has the flange with the 6 bolts to attach it to the bottom of the head casting, but if the flange was not there I think the clamping force of the 6 bolts would be more than sufficient to hold the head firmly in position........this would allow the end of the spindle body to be raised to be flush with the bottom of the head casting so gaining the height beneath the end of the spindle.

If there was a fear that the spindle body would move under cutter forces, like drilling etc, then a small screw through the side of the head casting and into a dimple in the side of the spindle body would locate it firmly, but as this machine is for CNC purposes the scope of heavy drilling would never be a factor to be a problem, so I think the clamping force of the head bolts would be more than sufficient.

This "mod" would depend on the end of the spindle body below the flange being the same diam as the top part of the body above the flange.

I base this assumption on the fact that on my Ajax mill with ISO 40 taper, and my previous Bridgeport mill with R8 taper, the quill is held by a side lock when milling is being done, although the book states that when heavy milling the quill should be raised up against the head casting and locked, using the knee raising function to achieve depth of cut etc, but I frequently use the quill with the lock at a part down position for convenience and have not experience any problem with quill movement when milling, although if I use a facing cutter of about 100mm diam I do raise the quill and lock it in that position.

Having the flange on the ISO 20 spindle is not a problem but just an observation as to how extra height under the spindle can be had by a simple mod.

I'm posing this as a queery, possibly as an after market mod, but mainly to prevent your spindle supplier from tearing his hair out with odd ball customer requests.....LOL.

At the same time, if the spindle body is raised in the housing by removing the flange it would mean the motor driving it would have to be raised too by adding a spacer beneath it, but the rewards in extra height would be sufficient if the mod was possible.

This is just a feasibility study and not a critical factor for the application of the two spindles.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by skillalot View Post
    Ordered the BT30 spindle, payed, and waiting for the yellow packed wooden crate to arrive at my door
    Hi, Thank you skillalot! I will arrange shipping ASAP! Will post your spindle here before sending out too:cheers:
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Hi handle. sorry for answer late. ..I consdiered your opinions carefully and checked with the ISO20 spindle size. The ISO20 is not 65mm diameter but 70mm. And it's frond end is DIA 76mm to caitain the bigger bearings and ISO20 taper.. So I think it can not compatible with 65 high speed spindles. So if go with ISO20, the spindle hole has to be fited it's bigger end---but I think specialy made it to 80mm and compatible with 80mm high speed spindle is a possible choice..

Clamping head is no problem for high speed spindle or ISO20. but I probably will not make it a standard configration but can be a special order. The same reason as I said in former post--cost issue. clamping head means much effects to machining cost and I don't want just add up the total cost to make SVM-0 not economic..lol

I'm sure 6pcs 12.9 class bolts can hold the spindle tightly, especially for a CNC with hihg speed spindle. I'm sure the spindle motor will be blocked before the spindle move under extrame conditions.

flange structure is just a more standard configration for CNC mills to have more stiffness under heavy working.. never move under any conditions. Maybe overkill on SVM-0, but just standard.
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Hi Sky, I thought the ISO 20 diam was 65mm too....silly me, that would have made it compatible with the 65mm high speed spindle.......never mind.

You mentioned in the last post that the ISO 20 spindle can be made to 80mm to match with the 80mm high speed spindle.....is this a special order, and can that be made without the flange too so it can be clamped higher in the head casting....if so what cost would that incur.

My packet choice for an option would be an ISO 20 spindle for milling and a high speed spindle for engraving, carving and 4th axis work etc, both clamped in the split head casting with the 6 bolts......that would be most convenient.

If both diams need to be 80mm to make them compatible to fit in the same bores in the housing, that is not a problem, just extra cost for a bigger ISO 20 spindle body.

BTW, is the 80mm high speed spindle a water cooled type.....what are the RPM and ER chuck size?

If this twin spindle option works out OK, I think more people will consider it as the best of both worlds for the SVM-0, covering both milling and carving/engraving operations all in the one package.

It's getting very near to placing an order time....just the few details to be clarified.
    Ian.

Looks better than my shower curtain.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Hi Sky, I thought the ISO 20 diam was 65mm too....silly me, that would have made it compatible with the 65mm high speed spindle.......never mind.

You mentioned in the last post that the ISO 20 spindle can be made to 80mm to match with the 80mm high speed spindle.....is this a special order, and can that be made without the flange too so it can be clamped higher in the head casting....if so what cost would that incur.

My packet choice for an option would be an ISO 20 spindle for milling and a high speed spindle for engraving, carving and 4th axis work etc, both clamped in the split head casting with the 6 bolts......that would be most convenient.

If both diams need to be 80mm to make them compatible to fit in the same bores in the housing, that is not a problem, just extra cost for a bigger ISO 20 spindle body.

BTW, is the 80mm high speed spindle a water cooled type.....what are the RPM and ER chuck size?

If this twin spindle option works out OK, I think more people will consider it as the best of both worlds for the SVM-0, covering both milling and carving/engraving operations all in the one package.

It's getting very near to placing an order time....just the few details to be clarified.
    Ian.
    Hi handle, never mind about the spindle dimension issue.. I think I forgot to list the dimensions of the spindles in former posts..lol

Yes. I think if you want the ISO20 spindle work with a high speed spindle.. 80mm is the only choice here. It has to be a special order because I maybe just ask for one pcs 80mm ISO20 spindle cartridge from supplier and claim it's a sample and have many orders later... But any way, trying to have more configrations for selection will be a good thing--If guys like you really want it. 65mm will keep as the standard economic configrations and enough for most users.

so.. no problem about your plan..LOL

And yes, the 80mm high speed spindle is a water cooling style. 24000RPM, the taper is ER16 or ER20. but I must say that the high speed spindles have two types. one is very common, economic type for soft meterails like wood, plastic, soft metals. Another one is metal engraving type can handle steel materials. the price is about 2.5X the former... that's a point must make clear here...

I think.. you have pushed SVM-0 to generate a higher end version succefully now..If more people would like go this way..I'm sure my side is no problem to satisfy the needs.. So.. any more details need to confirm..just let me know:cheers:
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Looks better than my shower curtain.
    LOL... thanks Lee. Long time no seen :cheers:
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Why don't make a extra shell around the ISO20 spindle? Make a tube 80x70mm on your lathe, cut it through, and place it around the spindle before you clamp it.
    If it is only for a few people then that's the most economic way to do it, and it will clamp just as good.

Why don't make a extra shell around the ISO20 spindle? Make a tube 80x70mm on your lathe, cut it through, and place it around the spindle before you clamp it.
    If it is only for a few people then that's the most economic way to do it, and it will clamp just as good.
    Hi skilllalot, Just finish some website project now.. very late in China now. Yes... this is a good idea to go with. most economic. So I guess just see what handlewanker will like.. I can do both way on my side.
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Skyfire: What is your website?

I was hoping to check out the spindles, but can't seem to access the website? Are some IP ranges being blocked access as I can see the domain records?

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Hi, there are a couple of very good reasons......the current ISO 20 spindle is attached by the flange to the bottom of the head casting, and has a body diam of 70mm and 76mm below the flange, which gives you a stick out down below the head casting and less Z axis clearance which is what I want to avoid.

Making a sleeve would mean a wall thickness of 5mm which is no mean achievement in parallel turning and boring on the average lathe..........a couple of thou' taper in the bore or OD over the length of the sleeve and you have problems with the accuracy of location, although Skyfire would probably have these as yet another option if the customers twisted his arm behind his back .....LOL.

To overcome that problem you would need to undercut the centre of the sleeve bore so that it only fitted on the ends, but boring to that depth is still a task.

It would be far better to just make two narrow rings with the 70mm bore and 80mm OD and to the same width as the thickness of the casting at the top and bottom.....the head being hollow in the centre section.......and Loctite them to the ISO 20 spindle which will allow change over with the High speed spindle........but you still have the stick out, so I want to kill two birds with one stone and have the ISO 20 spindle custom made to 80mm OD, and in case of failure and replacement the 80mm production item will be a shelf stocked item probably, if enough people go this route.

If the head casting is bored out to 80mm and split, and the ISO 20 spindle cartridge OD is also produced in 80mm diam, then it will be a simple swap over solution to a complete package, which is where I have finally arrived at.

The other side of the coin is, for sheer economy, the current standard off the shelf ISO 20 spindle could be modified (by the customer?) by just machining off the flange and fitting two sleeves to the top and bottom, secured with Loctite, to give you the 80mm OD size required.

The sleeves would only have to be approx 12mm+ in width to suit the head casting, one with a 70mm bore and the other with a 76mm bore, both with 80mm OD, which is as easy as falling off a log for the average turner with the average home lathe.

Boring and turning those short lengths will not incur taper to any degree worth thinking about, and fitting is just a slip on fit with the Loctite.

The modified spindle will now be flush with the bottom of the head casting, giving you more spindle to table height clearance, and I think it will not matter if the spindle sticks out of the top of the head casting more.....a spacer to lift the motor will align the two pulleys in that case.

So to sum up, if the economy trail is the dominating factor in the package, then the head casting, split with 80mm bores top and bottom will be the first requirement and immediately satisfy the fitting of the 80mm High speed spindle, and a standard off the shelf ISO 20 spindle, modified to remove the flange (either by Sky and co or the customer), and fitted with two sleeves would arrive at the same point in changeability function.

If the high speed spindle did fail in time, electrically or mechanically, which is more likely than the ISO 20 spindle which is relatively simple to renovate....bearing replacement etc.....then it's just a simple standard off the shelf replacement procedure.

For milling and engraving on harder materials etc, the ISO 20 spindle, with two size pulleys, would cover all those bases.....6,000 rpm max etc, and for the softer materials the economy high speed spindle at 24,000 rpm will be OK for engraving and carving too.

So, no more hypothesising, it's time to lay out the options and get the build package on the go.
    Ian.

Hi Mr. G and aarggh, My website is supposed to be www. skyfirecnc.com but it's still under construction now! It cost a lot of time because I have updated some plans of the website.. I hope it can open at the end of this month.. Before this, Please contact me via email directly.

Thanks!
    My email is [email protected]

Here is part of the HOME page of my website under construction.. My personal design...just simple but hope it will not look too bad to you guys
    www.skyfirecnc.com

I just got a small job for my SVM-2 prototype today.. Help my friend to make a small stamping tool.

Here is the part sample and the material my friend wants to use. not a big part with diameter 30mm.

I just programed the G code and did a test on a C45 steel board.. We will do formally with die steel later.. so today is just a sample test.

Here we go..

working with my former USB controller.. MAX rapid 5000mm/min.

And still controlled by MACH3.
    [

Firstly Milled the big circular groove with 10mm end mill at 2000RPM.

And then I used a 6mm ball end mill to engrave the peviform pocket at 5000RPM. Since this is just a sample.. I feed a littile fast at 600mm/min. ----I'm sure with high speed spindle. this is not fast at all.. but I can only get 5000RPM here because my old motor installed on SVM-2 prototype. (Formal SVM-2 is 6000RPM at least)

After 1.5 hours.....mill finished.

Here is the result:

with the target parts:

More details:

Video will be uploaded later tonight.. and will update the formal piece as a application demo too.
    www.skyfirecnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skyfire View Post
    Hi Mr. G and aarggh, My website is supposed to be www. skyfirecnc.com but it's still under construction now! It cost a lot of time because I have updated some plans of the website.. I hope it can open at the end of this month.. Before this, Please contact me via email directly.

Thanks!
    My email is [email protected]

Here is part of the HOME page of my website under construction.. My personal design...just simple but hope it will not look too bad to you guys
    Hmm, I'm an engineer and always prefer function over form, so nice simple websites are the best way to go in my book! There's nothing worse than simply trying to glean info from a website, and it's full of useless flash animations and numerous scrolling menus and pop-ups.

I'm looking forward to seeing you get the site up and running, I'm sure you'll have plenty of interest! I'm very interested in the spindles, but I'm not in any hurry for pricing so I'm happy to wait till the sites up so you'll hopefully have more detailed info, specs, and pics of the various parts you're selling.

I just have to repeat again, what you've designed and built is just beautiful!

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

I just programed the G code and did a test on a C45 steel board..

Page 22 of 184 1220212223243272122