587,193 active members*
3,035 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Angry HAAS DS-30 CHATTER

I have been running 4 bran new haas DS-30 machines for about 3 months now. first problem we had was the air lines broke.

second problem each machines hydraulic line was kinked and dumped all the hydraulic fluid about 12 times.

third problem each machine had parts added to the door to stop the machine from dumping coolant out the door.

fourth and final as of now. the machines ran beautiful for 2 weeks no problems. we left for the weekend on the second week. when we came back on monday, not a single machine was able to make a part, the od started to chatter, parts started pushing back, and the id started to chatter. as of now i have done everything i can to get them working again.

anyone else have this problem? o and need to state i cant get any answers from our haas techs on this one. been through 5 now.

Quote Originally Posted by austinnathan21 View Post
    I have been running 4 bran new haas DS-30 machines for about 3 months now. first problem we had was the air lines broke.

second problem each machines hydraulic line was kinked and dumped all the hydraulic fluid about 12 times.

third problem each machine had parts added to the door to stop the machine from dumping coolant out the door.

fourth and final as of now. the machines ran beautiful for 2 weeks no problems. we left for the weekend on the second week. when we came back on monday, not a single machine was able to make a part, the od started to chatter, parts started pushing back, and the id started to chatter. as of now i have done everything i can to get them working again.

anyone else have this problem? o and need to state i cant get any answers from our haas techs on this one. been through 5 now.
    Call Haas factory in Oxnard and let them know what is going on and what all has been done by the local HFO. Be calm and polite while going through your issues because it's possible they know nothing about the issues you are having. They are always eager to know about problems, especially when they are on new machines. After talking with you, they will most likely be in contact with your dealer and you should have a much better response after that.

This is obviously a warranty issue, so keep after them and be sure to let them do all the work. Do not take thing into your own hands unless instructed to by the factory or HFO, that way you avoid additional confusion and/or problems.

Good luck and keep updating to let us know how things are going.

thank you for a response i will contact them right now.

thank you for a response i will contact them right now.
    Curious how it went for you?

I am in the market for a lathe now and considering my options.

well so far no answers. our HFO sent out a really good person to look at the problem. they have fixed hydraulic leaks behind the spindle on all machines, and are focusing more on the program. Not happy about it but I'm ok with them doing whatever they half to to fix the issue. Even though we made 12,000 parts on the program and setup already in the machine.

Right now they are making soft jaws for the main spindle that are 5" tall. personally i feel that it will prove nothing. I hope that I'm wrong! want these things making parts. So i will just play the waiting game. As for that i think we are in the hole now about $100,000 in scrap parts and down time, might even be more than that.

Nothing has been checked on the rigidity of the machine. Nor has anything mechanical been looked at. Just program.

Personal opinion of the DS-30. its not very sturdy. casting 2 light and they where rushed putting together in production. 2 many little problems. Wish i could get my hands on an up to date list of all the mods made to the newer models of the ds-30.(chair)

HAAS
    It is what it is!!

Upload a part print, the program you are currently running, tool descriptions, and photos of the set up you are using.

Sorry would love 2 but can't.

I know. Proprietary information and all. You could pay me to come out and look at it in person, but that defeats your goal of free (or cheap) solutions.

You may have a point about rigidity, but there are work arounds for such problems. That is probably where they are going with the 5" tall jaws. Sometimes switching to VNMG or DNMG tools with smaller nose radius can help eliminate chatter. Running tubing type parts on mandrels can help. Clamping extra material on the OD can help chatter problems when boring. Changing SFM while cutting can help (but can get really complicated). Changing to a 2 sided boring bar for ID cutting can help.

Ok been about a year with same machines. Still same problems. I half to fight them every day, so I haven't had the time to post more. Noticed when the temperature hits around 73 in our shop they go to ****. I personally would never purchase a haas again. Good news my co-worker is all about HAAS and can't even run a machine. He just thinks they are pretty and He thinks we are about to get 16 more haas machines but we are not. Haha. Going with mori, Yamasaki, or Mazak, or okuma.

Note: never buy one of the peaces of junk!!!! Really junk.

We have a 4 month old Haas ST-20 that will not run a live tooling operation without screaming its butt off and chipping out every flute on the cutter. After 4 days of our favorite Haas tech replacing drive motors, gears, amps, and even vector dirve, we are no closer to a solution. We are trying to cut a hex on 12L14. My 14 year old SL-20 will run the same program with the same setup using the same live tooling head, collet chuck, and material. It works perfect. No chatter at all.
    The $120k brand new "super rigid" ST20 will produce heavy chatter with a brand new 1/2" dia 5/8" long carbide endmill going 1/2" deep with .02" side cut in 12L14 (super soft, free machining).
    Today another top notch Haas Tech came in and his solution is to put a piece of rubber between the live tooling head and the turret.

Really!!! Thats your fix!?!?!? We have contacted the HFO sales rep, and we are going to discuss our options. The service tech tells us that they are having to put rubber behind boring bars on these machines as well.

Hey, that $120k truck you just bought, well, we put sawdust in the transmission to make it sound better. Just don't take it over 20 mph. If you need to go any faster that 20, use your 12 year old truck.

Haas Factory Support

Austin,
    Please put together as much information as you have on this issue. Please include serial number, contact info, and HFO contact. We will look at your issue with fresh eyes and we will contact your HFO. Please send to [email protected]
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Ok I did what kinfolks asked and I got a response. Someone from haas called me. I told him our problems. Next my boss had a talk with me and said someone from haas called him and complained that I was calling them and complaining. First, I never called haas they called me. Second I didn't know I couldn't call Haas and tell them there was a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ok I did what kinfolks asked and I got a response. Someone from haas called me. I told him our problems. Next my boss had a talk with me and said someone from haas called him and complained that I was calling them and complaining. First, I never called haas they called me. Second I didn't know I couldn't call Haas and tell them there was a problem.

Seriously! You expect us to believe that 6 months later you got a call, then you had a pleasant conversation without cursing and yelling at the person from Haas and then Haas called your boss to complain!

Let's keep it simple, if I were your boss, you would not work for me, you would be an ex-employee. With an attitude like yours, you better open your own business. Of course that assumes that you could get along with yourself.

And it is KenFoulks, not kinfolks.

Why don't you grow up.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

First off I got a reply immediately after emailing them. And there was no cursing involved at all. And on this I'm only stating fact that happened. Plus I don't reply on these forms all the time. please excuse me if i miss spelled his name wow. U seam more hostile than I do. So do u have any haas machines? If you had any clue as to what I've had to deal with on these machines since we've gotten them you wouldn't be saying what you're saying. Let's see. Everyone of our machines had their hydraulics lines burst. The only Boring bars that work in these machines are Sandvik silent tools. One of the machines when you shut it off everything shifts .006. The draw tube nut busted on one of them. Two of the high-pressure coolant pumps had to be fixed. One of the machines erased all of the data for the tool offsets.(that was confirmed) I guess for me it's wrong to compare the machines I'm used to running. (Mazak and Dmu). All I have been trying to do is get answers. Oh I forgot something, there used to be someone that was in charge of the shop and every time Haas came out he interfered with letting them look at the machines and told them what he wanted them to do.
    The one question that I asked them. how come the Sandvik tool is the only one that will work in this machine when I have another business making our parts? using a different machines (doosan) with a way cheaper bar.
    You sound familiar! Wait most of your forum replays are about haas.

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Seriously! You expect us to believe that 6 months later you got a call, then you had a pleasant conversation without cursing and yelling at the person from Haas and then Haas called your boss to complain!

Let's keep it simple, if I were your boss, you would not work for me, you would be an ex-employee. With an attitude like yours, you better open your own business. Of course that assumes that you could get along with yourself.

Why don't you grow up.

Dude looks like you have part ownership in Haas (hope I spelt that correctly), if the machine is junk then the machine is junk, and if customer service stinks then it stinks, we can all appreciate a good review, austinnathan21 keep us updated on how this ends, as for me, experiencing these problems with brand new machines off the bat, they could have never had a one year anniversary at my shop.

Thanks.

New update. Where spindle actuator mounts the bolts sheared off. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387553101.109600.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	214554

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachment 214560Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387554186.216296.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	214562

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post

Why don't you grow up.

Whenever anybody has an issue with haas you seem to attack them whether here or on practical...You need to check who it is should grow up.
    Tim

I guess for me it's wrong to compare the machines I'm used to running. (Mazak and Dmu).

It probably won't help too much but it is a natural thing to do. I find myself comparing my Mazak 510 to my Haas VF3SS a lot...

And I agree - please keep us posted. Just because someone gets his panties in a bunch when anything negative is mentioned about Haas doesn't mean a bunch of people aren't interested in the problem and if there is a solution.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12