587,619 active members*
3,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: gecko 540

gecko 540

As seen in this forum, a poster has advertised the controller for $485.00 w cables complete... is this a good deal? I've got the 3040 and plan on upgrading . The cost of the gecko is more than half of what I spent to get into this....

gecko is a good control...

but.. if your machine works with the exist control, would make more sense saving money for a larger machine..
    a 3040 machine very limited on workarea..
    small works doesn't mean they need definitely less time..
    example a coinstamp that only 1.5 inches diameter, can keep as much as 6-8 hour... even more on a slower machine..
    so simpler work with larger machine would make more sense..

just my 2 cent..

It doesn't. I get lost steps, blown boards, and frustrations. Its my first machine and I'll just move a sound well made controller to the next machine. I know its small, but it was a good, inexpensive way to get my feet wet. Is this a good price for what I'm about to purchase?

What do you get for that price?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

4 axis controller w cables, manual CD and XML fot Mach.

the maker of gecko, they make it of scratch.. this is their design and works well..
    my concern was if your machine works well wpould make sense a larger machine.. build or buy.. spend only if you get real advantage..

that 3040 even going faster with new control, you might don't make more profit with.. beyond purchasing parts still you have work with..

thank of what you are going to upgrade to is a g540 going to work, look at the max stepper size and power supply that will be required for upgrade is it what a g540 can handle allso will it have enough outputs and inputs start from there.
    g540s are good i have one on my small cnc router its over kill, but i wont be able to kill it.
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm sure this will be over kill as well, this little machine works well sometimes, misbehaves others, I'm sure its the controller that is a piece of junk. I'll be able to move this controller to another machine and take full advantage of its capabilities. I'm just tired of getting 3 or 4 hours into a project and making firewood from it. Very frustrating to say the least. I appreciate the feedback. So, am I over paying for this controller?

if its the one from ebay its ok just look up how much a g540 and all the bits cost that will give you an answer
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

the gecko control itself worth it..

what I trying to say, is it worth you to upgrade this small machine?

it will be good later to make some finishcuts.. or good for cutting out inserts for an inlay while the larger machine makes the pockets for same inlay..

try to get a larger where gecko will be more affordable.. if you don't mind on bolting together a frame, then cncrouterparts has good kits for you.. and for that worth to buy geckodrive..

The G540 is an excellent drive. It's nowhere near overkill, unless you think reliablity, performance, and technical support are overkill. I would bet the drive box you got with your machine is crap with underpowered PSU and cheap stepper drives. You don't mention your stepper size and rated stall torque, but I would bet the G540 has a higher max voltage than the drives you have, which equals better performance.

My thought exactly, reliability and consistency are my trademark as a contractor. I'm hoping that this little machine will be a learning tool and allow me to expand and improve my abilities to serve my base of customers. I think I'll order it tomorrow.

I have a slightly larger machine (6040) and soon gave up trying to make the provided controller work and fitted a G540.
    The only problems I have now are mechanical - not a well put together machine
    Regards
    Geoff

I soon realized that the bed wasn't flat, no lock washers, noisy spindle and pump, more. Granted I paid $800 for the machine and a computer with vcarve and aspire, a dozen bits.

Its been fun and frustrating, but I'll get this learning curve beat. I've actually made some great signs and products so far.

What issues have you run into