587,656 active members*
8,963 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 88 6789101858
    I took a video with a webcam (all i had at this time) the machine cutting at 80ipm one of the bottom gantry torsion box ribs. it is 8.9meg so i guess i can e-mail if you let me know where to send or how i can upload it here? I do not know if i have the clearance to do that.

Joe

I was able to finish the last cutting the last couple of pieces of the Gantry Bottom Torsion Box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gantry Bottom Torsion Box Parts.JPG  

Gantry Bottom Torsion Box Complete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gantry Bottom Torsion Box Ribs.JPG   Gantry Bottom Torsion Box Complete.JPG  

Here are the CNC Router Support End pieces, weight is 10lbs each side (two pieces each side).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC Router End Support Pieces.JPG  

Joe

That is a really nice bit of work you are doing there.
    I Hav'nt been on the forum for a while and it is amazing how high the standards of machines being built now from when I first joined this group back in 2003.

What type of cutters/speeds do you find best when cutting out nylon/plastics

Quote Originally Posted by xairflyer
    Joe

That is a really nice bit of work you are doing there.
    I Hav'nt been on the forum for a while and it is amazing how high the standards of machines being built now from when I first joined this group back in 2003.

What type of cutters/speeds do you find best when cutting out nylon/plastics
    Thanks, The improvements to the machines have come from several members here which makes the DIY portion of this site so wonderful.

I use 2 flute endmills, cutting at about 16,000rpm and now cut at 80ipm.

Absolutely Wonderful

Joe:
    I have been reading this thread for several weeks now, and just wanted to add my kudos for the awesum job you are doing documenting your build and rebuild. I would very much like a copy of any prints or drawings you may have available. I would gladly pay for them if you would email me with the costs and availablity. Again GREAT JOB. Looking forward to following this thread, and your progress. Perhaps in the very near future I can begin my build as well. Right now I am trying to understand stepper and servo motors. I'm old (chair) and don't pick things up as easily as in my youth. But I will get this thing done.

Thanks Bob

Hi Joe,

You have so many people asking for your plans that I thought I might suggest using a file transfer service. My favorite is http://www.yousendit.com Just upload your file once and list the email addresses of the people you want and it will send them an email alerting them that they have a file to download. Files stay on the server for seven days. This method gets around the file size limit that some email systems have. You can upload any file up to 1GB in size.

Quote Originally Posted by txcowdog
    Hi Joe,

You have so many people asking for your plans that I thought I might suggest using a file transfer service. My favorite is http://www.yousendit.com Just upload your file once and list the email addresses of the people you want and it will send them an email alerting them that they have a file to download. Files stay on the server for seven days. This method gets around the file size limit that some email systems have. You can upload any file up to 1GB in size.
    thanks, I will try it out.

I have not been able to work on the new cnc in a few days, starting to miss it... lol

Joe

Joe, You do great work. I enjoy your build logs.

If you make your plans available I would like you to email me a set. Address is: [email protected]
    Herman
    Disclaimer: Not affiliated with any company or business. Happily Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by eqreservoir
    Joe, You do great work. I enjoy your build logs.

If you make your plans available I would like you to email me a set. Address is: [email protected]
    I would like to finish the New build befor sending out anything, altho i'm about 99.9999999% sure it will work just fine.

Joe

Well my daughter made a request to paint the machine John Deere colors, what do you guys think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joes Model 2006 R-2.jpg  

Looks great! It makes it look "down home", sort of like a retired NASA engineer turned Hobby farmer my Dad has been friends with since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Yes, I grew up in rural South Carolina, now I live in Rural Georgia, not much of a change I guess....

Joe, you make this look easy, and you have a great looking rig to boot! Keep up the great work!!

I like it. That's the colors I've been thinking about painting my south bend shaper if I ever get the paint off of it.
    Herman
    Disclaimer: Not affiliated with any company or business. Happily Retired.

Hi Joe,

The color scheme looks good. At least she didn't go with pink and some young ladies wouls suggest (I had a 35 year old girlfriend once with a pink bedroom, it always made me feel a bit uneasy while the lights were on).

Started painting the pieces white primer, I think i will stick to the white, it just looks so much cleaner and streamlined.

Joe

Made a new X Axis Bearing slide for the inside of the Gantry sides, this one made out of all HDPE, after screwing it together i was not able to move the bearing block inside with my fingers I had to lightly tap it with a hammer to make it slide which is exactly how i want it so there is no movement at all when installed and the 4 bolts adjusted from the outside will push it against the rails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X Axis Bearing Slide.JPG  

Well have not posted in a few days because i have been busy at work and also working on the CNC Machine in spare time, painted everything (descided on white for the pro look) also cutting all the HDPE pieces.

Here are all the HDPE Pieces which will be used in the machine.

These are what will be included in a kit (minus the hardware) I will make for people who are interested in the machine.

Thanks, Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HDPE Parts (closeup).jpg  

Just thought of somethin yesterday.. If a guy used square tubing instead of angle irons, and put the bearings on top and to the sides, that'd work too, right? ...well, heck - thats what I'm a gonna do anyhow..

Used to be a guy around the ol casting forums that talked a good thing about making his own HBLBs (which were aluminum cast pillowblock type skate bearing holders) : an idea I love, but without a CNC hotwire, [for the xps foam pattern] kinda tough to re-create. The design was cool though, in that he had slotted holes in which to mount the bearings, thus making adjustments easy.

I've done the angle irons/bearings thing, too, and tho it does work, it's tricky. I'm gonna try this with square tubing to see if it works better on my bigger mill..

I gotta say tho, man.. this thing you're doin is lookin like a Guillow's kit! If for nothing else - it looks like a BLAST!!

Nice work Joe. I think your kit is really going to be great.

Wolfspaw

Page 8 of 88 6789101858