587,096 active members*
6,936 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SX3 Y-table travel extension

First of all I think this is a wonderful forum with lots of helpful (and patient..) people.
    Although readiing many posts on several sites - also the one from Crevice Reamer - regarding preparing the SX3 for CNC, something is not really clear to me.
    I have read many times that in order to extend the Y-axis travel you need to cut out a portion of the column to make way for the spindle. My SX3 is still unchanged from stock but when I look at the saddle there is about 1-1/4" space between the saddle and the column, and more important the leadscrew is another 1-1/2" further away from the column.

So it seems to me that you could gain some 2 inches of travel by just mounting a spacer of 1" at the front and have a ballscrew that is 2" longer then the stock leadscrew.
    What am I missing in this story, I guess the ballnut is not that much longer then the acme one? I hope anyone can and will explain this to me - Thanks in advance!

I thought the same thing.

think about it this way: to add an inch on the front moves the table toward the column another inch on a Y- move. to add an inch to the Y+ the screw has to hang an inch further towards the column also. add a little more for the ball screw and mount size which iirc are slightly larger than the acme brass nut, then add a little more for the cap head screw and washer to prevent over traveling, in a Y+ move. it all adds up. 2" extra travel means more then 2" extra space from the current screw.

I follows CR instructions exactly and have ~7.5" Y travel... which I use all of I will take some pics later of the travel extremes

here is my column fresh off my buddy's Bridgeport

and fresh ON the BP

my thread has a lot of info since I knew NOTHING about cnc when I started my conversion other than it meant I could use my handwheels for christmas tree ornaments. turns out they suck for that too

welcome to the obsession, ask away!

On mine the ballscrew will hit the column before the saddle does, so there is also a pocket about 1" dia. for the ballscrew and snapring to ride into, as well as what you have milled off Priddyshiddy.
    This gives me a bit more Y, cant remember exactly how much off the top of my head, I will try to measure exactly tomorrow.
    Haven't heard from Creavice Reamer in a while, hope he is doing well and plugging away with his projects.

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

I cut a hole for the ballscrew also. I did it after pre assembly in the machine to make sure it was correctly located.

tried to get pics last night but with my aluminum bracket and accordion chip guard I couldn't get anything useful.

checked my actual travels at 7.3" X and 19.25" Y. this is usable travel programmed in my limits. of course its really more but the limit switch eats up a little for homing and I left about .05" extra on each end just to make sure a bad move gets stopped befor hitting and loosing steps.

and yes... that IS a heavy duty zip-type bag on the column held with magnets to keep chips from sticking to the column and flying back into the Z pulley. amazing how many chips STILL sneak back there.

the magnets slide up and down on their own when the head comes really low to.

Thanks guys,

I took a better look at the pictures on the CNCFusion site and think to understand it. The problem must be the ball nut-to-column distance that is large enough with the standard acme nut but decreases with the new one which is quite a bit larger.

BTW: nice pictures!

Dingenman,

Have you started a post about your orange steel custom mill? Saw it on Hoss's page and wanted to read about it! If not you should

I did it after pre assembly in the machine to make sure it was correctly located.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Dingenman,

Have you started a post about your orange steel custom mill? Saw it on Hoss's page and wanted to read about it! If not you should
    No, i haven't yet.

Perhaps I will start a thread when I arrive a bit further down the road of this project.

Time is going by so fast and there are so many things to do .. (besides the mill - I'm sure you know what I mean)

Ard