587,737 active members*
3,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Using mini mill for an aluminum gun stock for a .22LR. Need to know the limitations

Using mini mill for an aluminum gun stock for a .22LR. Need to know the limitations

I've been doing airsoft conversions by gutting airsoft bodies and then dropping in a complete .22LR action/barrel.

I'm at the point where I want to do my own designs similar to this using a mini mill.

I'm brand new to CNC and milling so I'm still doing a lot of research right now.

I'm interested in purchasing a mini mill that can handle making a similar gun chassis like this. Something under $600
    I can break it down into 3-4 different modules (butt stock,pistol grip housing, lower/upper receiver, handguard) and just bolt everything together.

I'd like to know what are the limitations of using a mini mill to make something similar to this chassis below.

Also I'm interested in doing a CNC conversion with the mini mill. I do have AutoCAD and I'm still learning how to use this software.

Savage MKII F using a ARES Remington MSR

Look into the G0704, should be a much better fit for your needs.

I am very intrigued by your creations...how hard would it be to make a SCAR-H that fired .22LR?

Quote Originally Posted by DRock View Post
    Look into the G0704, should be a much better fit for your needs.

I am very intrigued by your creations...how hard would it be to make a SCAR-H that fired .22LR?
    Thanks!

I got a $60 airsoft SCAR that was internally broken and dropped in a Marlin 795
    Just used a dremel and used plexiglass strips as brackets to bolt on the pistol grip

The only problem I had was mating the upper and lower receiver together. Still havent figured that part out yet.

.22LR SCAR using Marlin 795

.22LR ACR using a Marlin 795

.22LR 1918 BAR using a Marlin 795

1/3 collection of my .22LR conversions

G0704 is way out of my budget. Is there something similar to this under $600?

I think you're going to have a a hard time finiding anything with decent travel for that price range. Even the cheap taigs are more than that. Honestly, if that's all you can spend, I'd keep a look out on craigslist. I know in my area old mini mills pop up every once and a while for that price range.

Quote Originally Posted by DRock View Post
    I'd say that is as likely as a unicorn farting Skittles, but anything is possible if you're willing to pay for it.

Though .22 would be a lot easier on my wallet than .308, so......get both? :wave:

And used is the only way possible to get a machine with the necessary travel for anywhere close to $600. And that $600 will cover just the mill, and will be 1/2 to 1/3 of your total outlay to get up and running.

For that much money you can just buy a real one .

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

That is my thought as well.

Which is why I wanted to see what his answer was.

I have a cetme .308 that cost me 599 dollars.

Sadly the days of $599 cetmes and FALs are long gone and not likely to come back anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by recordingwhiz View Post
    Sadly the days of $599 cetmes and FALs are long gone and not likely to come back anytime soon.
    Here is one at 500 dollars on Gun Broker. The days aren't gone unless you go to a local gun shop.

Century arms CETME rifle! Exc condition! : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    For that much money you can just buy a real one .

i already have an AR15 and a Saiga 12. i have no plans to get any other real centerfire rifles.

im having more fun doing .22 conversions. i have over 30 centerfire chassis' that i can interchange. plus i have WWII parts kits that ill be dropping a .22 in

im at a point where i want to design/produce my own aluminum chassis for my personal collection

Quote Originally Posted by thatotherguy View Post
    Here is one at 500 dollars on Gun Broker. The days aren't gone unless you go to a local gun shop.

Century arms CETME rifle! Exc condition! : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com
    $750 Buy it now and at $500 reserve not met, I would bet reserve is no less than $725.

even C93s are going for no less than $675, and they used to be $499 less than a year ago.

too many guys out there that paid too much during the height of the gun grab scare, and too many think its not over so it will be a while before the cost become reasonable again.

Yup, well enjoy the milling preoject I would like you to make a log.

So true.

Quote Originally Posted by recordingwhiz View Post
    $750 Buy it now and at $500 reserve not met, I would bet reserve is no less than $725.

even C93s are going for no less than $675, and they used to be $499 less than a year ago.

too many guys out there that paid too much during the height of the gun grab scare, and too many think its not over so it will be a while before the cost become reasonable again.