587,611 active members*
4,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 6 23456

Results are in!

Measurements taken with high quality DTI accurate to .00005".

X,Y,Z programs attached. Thanks to Rob_B for providing the programs! (if your going to use them, make sure to dry run them first!)

Overall i think its mechanically in good condition. I'm going to peel back the Y axis covers just to double check things are tight and in order. When i jog at low speeds i hear a repetitive pattern coming from that axis, it disappears with higher speeds. didn't seem to matter in the tests, all axis are in good shape.

Steps per inch:
    Z axis: 12760.42207

Commanded .250" Actual .24995"

Z axis gcode test results -.00260

Z axis backlash: .0028"

used backlash comp: Ran z axis Gcode test again, and ended up with -.00020"

steps per inch
    X axis: 12717.86043

Commanded .250" Actual .25000"

x axis gcode test results -.00105"

X axis backlash: .0013"

used backlash comp: Ran x axis Gcode test again, and ended up with -.00035"

steps per inch
    Y axis: 12725.14297

Commanded .250" move .25000"

Y axis gcode test results: -.00305"

Y axis backlash test: .003"

used backlash comp: Ran x axis Gcode test again, and ended up with -.00030"

Going to look for a clear shower curtain for the rear of the machine. I want to be able to access the rear really fast, but keep most of the flying stuff inside. I will also use the clear plastic drapes for the side access (LH + RH for feeding long bar stock etc). Still need to fab up door handles, and install windows next.

Then ill worry about setting up the mister + flood coolant pump, and piping some air.

Purchased Mach 3 2010 screen set. Hope to install later this evening. Can't wait to get my probe in working order to take advantage of the probe features. If I remember correctly I tried to add a Buzzer to it instead of the led, and it may have stopped working. :/

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Going to look for a clear shower curtain for the rear of the machine. I want to be able to access the rear really fast, but keep most of the flying stuff inside. I will also use the clear plastic drapes for the side access (LH + RH for feeding long bar stock etc). Still need to fab up door handles, and install windows next.
    Lowes has this in the store:
    Shop Style Selections Vinyl Clear Solid Shower Liner at Lowes.com

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

We love pics! Thanks for documenting this, even though there seems to be a lack of comments, know that some of us are absorbing your ideas and implementations. Keep it up!

Thank you! Will do. Hopefully i can make some headway on it this weekend!

Also another note, that i didn't think i mentioned before. I am now running dual dehumidifiers with a lot better results. Down to 65% humidity which is better than the previous 100%. At 100% my printer paper, literally tuned into a gigantic sponge, growing in size, and was not tear able whatsoever. It just came apart in your hands because it was soaked. Now i see no difference from my house paper to the shop paper and you can tear a clean line. I dump the tanks twice a day. I will permanently install them soon so i never have to dump another tank.

Shower curtains installed! I went with a heavy duty white in the back. It really reflects a lot of light into the enclosure and brightens things up. On the sides I cut one curtain into 2 pieces. I went with clear incase I wanted to side peek. Installed them with those spring type shower rods from walmart. classy i know. Pics to come soon.

I wouldn't mind buying some of these and the fixture plates they sell, but i do beleive those size T-nuts will not fit the X3. Any other suggestions?

http://www.tormach.com/store/index.p...show&ref=31856

Mach 3 2010 is setup and working. To really take advantage of this, i need to hook up my probe. Need to order the C48 Probe board from cnc4pc.com for $18.70. This will allow quick implementation of my probe. I also already have the machining video camera they sell, which is a pretty nifty tool.

Once the probe board comes, gotta drill the 2 mounting holes, and then splice my probe for a new plug. After I get all the kinks out of the probe, ill figure out how to properly use all the probe tools that are implemented inside mach 2010. I also need to make a fixed touch plate that plugs into the probe port for tool touch off's. Also need a basic spindle clamp to hold the dial indicator, + couple tool holders. From there i'll get my fixture plate in order.

Also pipe the air and coolant, which already have the materials, just gotta find a free day to do it.

That's the plan for now at least!

**ended up ordering one of these touch plates.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails $(KGrHqYOKp0E-QIJpPgqBRd5EHhfFw~~60_3.JPG  

New Rexroth Air cylinder for the power draw bar. 4" bore, 2" stroke i believe. The price was right as it was "like new" for only $60 bucks.

Shars 4" double vise on X3 bed?

$249 a piece

Wondering if i would even be able to bolt this down to the table long ways in the X direction..

Machine specs:

Work envelope of 11.2" (X-axis) × 4.7" (Y-axis) × 10.6" (Z-axis)

table is 21.50" × 6.30"

Vise specs:
    Jaw Width: 4"
    Jaw Opening: 3"
    Jaw Depth: 1.235"
    Overall Length: 18"
    Bed height: 3.2"
    Overall height: 5.0"
    Clamping Force: 12,000 lbs
    Flatness: 0.001"
    Accuracy: both sides square to bottom: 0.0004"
    Parallel to each other: 0.0008"
    shars.com - 4quot Dual Lock CNC Vise

Or.. Double single shars 4" vises

$149 a piece

Vise specs:

Jaw Width: 4"
    Jaw Opening: 4"
    Jaw Depth: 1-1/2"
    Overall Length: 11"
    Bed Height: 2.8"
    Overall Height: 4.8"
    center distance between jaw's bolting screw: 3.8"
    Clamping Force: 9,000 lbs
    Flatness: 0.001"
    Accuracy: both sides square to bottom: 0.0004"
    Parallel to each other: 0.0008"

shars.com - 4quot Lock CNC Vise

3" screwless vise

$65

Vise, 3" Screwless - LittleMachineShop.com

Or i could go with an array of smaller screw less vises.

(main goal here, trying to mill some 3"x2"x.25" aluminum plate). More on the table the better.

Never used a screwless before though..

Mach 3 2010 is setup and working. To really take advantage of this, i need to hook up my probe. Need to order the C48 Probe board from cnc4pc.com for $18.70. This will allow quick implementation of my probe. I also already have the machining video camera they sell, which is a pretty nifty tool.

Once the probe board comes, gotta drill the 2 mounting holes, and then splice my probe for a new plug. After I get all the kinks out of the probe, ill figure out how to properly use all the probe tools that are implemented inside mach 2010. I also need to make a fixed touch plate that plugs into the probe port for tool touch off's. Also need a basic spindle clamp to hold the dial indicator, + couple tool holders. From there i'll get my fixture plate in order.

Also pipe the air and coolant, which already have the materials, just gotta find a free day to do it.

That's the plan for now at least!

**ended up ordering one of these touch plates.
    Where did you buy the probe?

I don't know anything about the Shars, but THIS is a good vise:
    Vise, 4" CNC Mill - LittleMachineShop.com

It fits the X3 table well and is WAY more convenient than a screwless. The Shars vise MIGHT be the same one.

CR.

I wouldn't mind buying some of these and the fixture plates they sell, but i do beleive those size T-nuts will not fit the X3. Any other suggestions?

31856 - 5/8" T-Nut with Locating Pin
    Yeah. That won't fit X3 T slots. You could probably grind it to fit. It doesn't look too hard to make though.

CR.

I'm using this vise on my x3 table. If the sx3 table is the same size as the x3 table then if its fine. The only problem I had was that included slot key what's too wide for the slots on the x3. I would have to mill it down for it to fit the slot. Since I'm using a tool fixture table I have no problems, I just clamp it down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1368996360566.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	185364

Name:	IMG_20130519_144632.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	185366

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD
    CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

Where did you get your tooling plate?

Quote Originally Posted by Analias View Post
    I'm using this vise on my x3 table. If the sx3 table is the same size as the x3 table then if its fine. The only problem I had was that included slot key what's too wide for the slots on the x3. I would have to mill it down for it to fit the slot. Since I'm using a tool fixture table I have no problems, I just clamp it down.

Name:	1368996360566.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	185364

Name:	IMG_20130519_144632.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	185366

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Where did you get your tooling plate?
    The plate came with the mill when I bought it from Kelvin (MRM RCModels). It is a one off that he made for the mill. I believe I have the original drawings (solidworks). If you are interested, I could ask him if he minded if I shared them. It's made out of aluminum with 3/16" holes tapped oversize and the steel thread inserts installed to strengthen the holes. This plate was made larger to accommodate the extended travel that Kelvin added.

A2Z has a similar plate, that is a bit smaller and has fewer holes.
    CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

they look to be 3/8" holes but I could be mistaken. I am making a couple of these on the waterjet at work
    very soon for my SX3 and a friends as well. The dern inserts are just so expensive. Haven't found a decent
    source for them yet.
    But just been toooo busy on my router table.
    BTW DIY you still have that boeing table running? Loved the shop set-up
    We should hook up sometime and chat.
    I will also try to post some updates on my mill evwntually

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

Page 4 of 6 23456