587,762 active members*
3,520 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach ATC Compatible Ring Light.
Page 1 of 2 12

Tormach ATC Compatible Ring Light.

Anyone have any thoughts on Tormach's "new" ring light?

I wish I'd have seen this... I ordered the old style and of course it's not compatible with the ATC

I installed one on a Haas and one on a hurco. Superbriteled.com sells them. Use them all the time.

Weird my post was deleted about the Tormach ATC light YouTube video.. ok...

Great website, I can't believe the price tormach is charging, Id go straight to their manufacturer tricled.com.

I have both the "Old" style and the new one. New one is nice enough, but wonder how hard it will be to clean since there's no smooth cover over the lights. I also had the impression I could wire it to the machine somewhere, but doesn't look like it. There's no on-off switch and the supplied 2x3' extensions feel a bit clunky. Overall, pretty solid, but not quite as good as I thought it would be. I'll probably rewire to use the switchbox off the old one. Note the new one is 12v, and the old style are lower voltage. I "overdrove" the old one with the 12v power and it worked.. I might wire them both to the same on-off switch....

Grimsmo has his wired up to I think 16 or 18v, I'm just doing12v, its bright enough. Tormach claims to have years of research on this light, but as you can see... It's not so... Weird...

My light from TricLED arrived today (I am in San Francisco) and the ring lights I ordered from SuperBrightLEDs arrived last Friday. I put the smaller of the SBL rings on last Sunday and it is quit bright and has 93 COB LEDs on the ring. I also received an 80mm and a 100mm to mount to the large upper flange of the spindle, this will more than triple the light output and may require the use of shades to run the machine.

These rings are encapulated to protect the LEDs and should not represent a cleaning problem.

nitewatchman

Can you post the part numbers you ordered from SBL and TL?

Catching a plane at LAX - later today or tonight.

nitewatchman

Quote Originally Posted by sperman View Post
    Can you post the part numbers you ordered from SBL and TL?
    From SuperBright LEDs I ordered theses parts. I am able after trial fitting to use the 100mm and the 80mm. The 60mm is a slip fit on the rotating part of the spindle and a little to snug although it could be possibly opened up a bit. and the 90mm will not slip over the outside of the spindle and seat on the flange mount of the spindle. It could be mounted around the outside of the lower 80mm ring but it will not be fully supported. All these rings have voltage control modules on the wiring pigtails and I simply stuffed them inside the spindle casting and secured with a wiretie. These are designed to be fed 12VDC to 30 VDC. I added a DIN Rail 12VDC Power Supply to the cabinet of the machine when I install the PDB to get rid of the wall wart and use this to feed the lights.

PRODUCT(S)
    Qty Product/Options Price/Ea
    1 AEx-x-COB: LED Angel Eye Headlight Accent Lights - COB AE100-NW116-COB: 100mm Diameter Natural White $31.95
    1 AEx-x-COB: LED Angel Eye Headlight Accent Lights - COB AE90-NW105-COB: 90mm Diameter Natural White $29.95
    1 AEx-x-COB: LED Angel Eye Headlight Accent Lights - COB AE80-NW81-COB: 80mm Diameter Natural White $26.95
    1 AEx-x-COB: LED Angel Eye Headlight Accent Lights - COB AE60-NW66-COB: 60mm Diameter Natural White $20.95

The TricLED don't have a part number that I can find. I contacted Reggy at TricLED and asked at the suggestion of another forum menber and they sent me a PayPal Invoice to complete the order. Really easy and seamless. Reggy and TricLED are easy people to deal with. Some where I seem to remember that there was reference to a "70mm Ring Light for milling machine".

Hope the helps.

nitewatchman

Just ordered a 100mm, thanks!

Nitewatchman, I forget, do you have the ATC? Will the light work with the ATC? If you think so which would be the best diameter? OK with flood coolant?

Thanks, Mark...

I have seen these lights discussed on a Mini-Mill forum: angel eye t10 - Free Shipping - DX Are they the same "Angel Eye" lights, or is that a generic term (I call the ones on cars "Dame Ednas"...)

EDIT: Never mind, I see that the Deal Xtreme lights have fewer LED's per ring...

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by SpruTormaCam View Post
    Nitewatchman, I forget, do you have the ATC? Will the light work with the ATC? If you think so which would be the best diameter? OK with flood coolant?

Thanks, Mark...
    Mark,

Yes, I do have a toolchanger and the light works well with it, no interferences or close scrapes. We are currently running a Ductile Iron Casting that requires 8 tool changes per part over about 20 minutes. Since putting the light on we have run about 150 pieces or 1200 tool changes + maintenance tool changes, no problems so far. Only problem is carbon dust off the part, which is likely more prone to cause a problem than colant.

Best Diameters would be 80mm for the nose of the spindle and 100mm for the flange of the spindle.

OK with flood coolant? Time will tell. I also fool around with watches and this has taught me that NOTHING is WATERPROOF, not even a rock. Everything has various degrees of water resistance. The rings are encapculated but are not rated weatherproof by the source. So far it has not been an issue but it could die tonight. Time will tell but it seems like a reasonable risk and no one gets killed if they do fail.

I'll try to get pictures.

nitewatchman

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr9900 View Post
    I have seen these lights discussed on a Mini-Mill forum: angel eye t10 - Free Shipping - DX Are they the same "Angel Eye" lights, or is that a generic term (I call the ones on cars "Dame Ednas"...)

EDIT: Never mind, I see that the Deal Xtreme lights have fewer LED's per ring...

Randy
    They are similar but you are correct, the SBL has more LED's per ring (93 on the 80mm) and they are COB (Chip on Board) LED's which are very bright individually.

nitewatchman

Thanks. I ordered a 80mm and a 100mm.

Look who has the 100mm dirt cheap.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-12...m_content=xuxu

And yes, I order stuff all the time from this company without issue.

Well atleast we are finding cheaper alternatives than the "Tormach" ring..

Quote Originally Posted by menzzer37 View Post
    I wish I'd have seen this... I ordered the old style and of course it's not compatible with the ATC
    Have you installed your Light Ring yet?

Page 1 of 2 12