587,081 active members*
2,657 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Bobcad v23 Failure to Launch

Bobcad v23 Failure to Launch

Hello Everyone,
    I have ver 22 and ver 23. The primary computer has had both installed and working together for a couple of years. Now on reinstallation after a crash v23 refuses to launch although v22 works as expected. Tried to install v23 on another computer with same results, Both puters running WINXP, if I open the task manager I can see v23 appear and then disappear. Any clues ?

Are you opening it by launching the BobCad Icon, or by double clicking an existing BobCad file.. The later does what you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Are you opening it by launching the BobCad Icon, or by double clicking an existing BobCad file.. The later does what you describe.
    I double clicked the ver23 icon on the desktop, in fact I deleted all the ver 23 program files, icons etc before setting up the ver 23 again. Then I used the newly created icon to start it. I tried it in compatability modes too ,to no avail. The problem started after removing some windows "update" files. The computer was "repaired" by a fly by night comp shop and they used an Illegal copy of xp, the "updates" installed WGA and it's associated NAGWARE. I tried to setup XP using the orig. XP disk but it was older than the version in the computer and told me to bugger off. So I have reinitiated installing service pack 2, and went home. It should be ready in the morning, The other computer is unmolested except for the WGA problem and it's behavior is exactly the same. If push goes to shove I will edit the register manually, in between tool changes
    Thank You for your response.

Be sure you are loading V23 from an "Original full install" and then running something that updates to the latest build.. The installer should be over 300 mb if it is full, the updates are 200 something..

Best to uninstall both predators too.

If it's something like the restore thing not including some of the pre-requisits that were included in the original install, this may be handled by the windows update you will undoubtedly do fo 4 hours.. Be sure to run it, update. Run it, restart- Run it, restart- Run it.... (You get the picture) until there are no more available.

If it doesnt fix after that, then we can look at running them manually from the Tech site and being sure to get a complete install, then get it running.

Well right now I am too busy making chips, we do one off parts, mostly vibration fixtures so there is little repeat cycles, in which to cruise. As I get time I will install all those updates, in the meantime ver 22 works fine and there are some things I like better about it though mostly it blows. All my work is 2D or 2.5D so it's good enough.
    I appreciate you taking time to respond.
    JS

Code 4

OK Follow up,
    I reinstalled all of Microsoft's "updates" and uninstalled ver 23 and it worked upon reinstallation.
    Thanks to all who responded, (BurMan).
    JS

Was working fine but now similar problem

I thought I would jump on this thread instead of starting a new one.

I have V23 build 1493 and it has been fine since 2009. I have two computers and one dongle that I use. Saturday I came into my shop to find my computer telling me that Bobcad could not read my dongle and had some type of error. I had left Bobcad open with a file that I was working on the night before. I do this all the time. This time I had this strange occurrence. Now, I can’t get Bobcad to open. My second computer works fine so there is no issue with the dongle.
    I did everything I could think of:
    Un-installed, re-installed, deleted bobcad from the registry, system restore, and still stuck
    Dell laptop, XP, NO INTERNET. I repeat, the troubled computer is not hooked to the internet. I have made no changes to this computer in years. This may not be a Bobcad problem but Bobcad is the program that is not working now.

I attached the Windows error log

Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you unplug the Dongle and put something else in,does that thing work?Are you sur you did not reload a demo installation?Burr will figure this.

I got it working. I read a different thread that mentioned a corrupted .bin file. That fix didn't solve my problem but it made me think. After un-installing everything yet again, I did a search of the C drive for "Bobcad". It revealed several files that I assume windows saves on its own. These were prefetch files and a few .dll. Had Bobcad never been installed these could never have existed so I deleted them too. After this I re-re-re-installed Bobcad.

OK. Almost working... Now I'm getting this:

Security error 4

Surfer error 64: invalid input data buffer

Keep in mind I am running back and forth from my work shop to my Internet able computer in the house. I get this error when I attempt a 3D tool path. I did a test 2D tool path and it posted. This computer, that is in my house, is working normal and has been the whole time. So I don't think it is a dongle problem.

Getting close...

Curious why your not updated to build 1812 ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Curious why your not updated to build 1812 ? ?

It's one of those cases if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Way back when I first got Bobcad I upgraded to 1493 because there were some bug fixes for the mill portion of the program that would help me. The later releases didn't seem to fix anything that would relate to what I was doing so I didn't want to poke a hornet nest.

As it is now I just want to get back to what I have been doing for 4 years.

PS. I ran the Access denied patch I found in a different thread. Didn't work. In fact it messed up the install. Re-running the 1493 update got me back to where I am now. At least I can do a 2D post.

""It's one of those cases if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Way back when I first got Bobcad I upgraded to 1493 because there were some bug fixes for the mill portion of the program that would help me. The later releases didn't seem to fix anything that would relate to what I was doing so I didn't want to poke a hornet nest. ""

LoL,,Your not taking advantage of 4 updates,,1595,1766,1780,1812
    Those updates not only fixed issues,they also gave a few enchantments.Some of the fixes were even specifically for XP.
    I still use V23 frequently,,despite having V25.Been doing so for 4 years.Nothing at all wrong with 1812.Well,I should not say nothing,But for V23,,1812 is as good as it getsBut hey,if what your using is good enough..........

I finally upgraded to build 1812 and all is working again.

It's annoying though. There were no changes or Internet virus that started this so it's a mystery. I hate mysteries!

Never run windows update with your dongle plugged in. Always make sure you have your dongle in your hand when dating!

Never run windows update with your dongle plugged in. Always make sure you have your dongle in your hand when dating!
    Now you stirred my curiosity.I have Windows set for automatic updates.I have not un-plugged my Dongle in 4 years.Am I Bad ? ?

Interesting. Are you saying that the dongle can be damaged under these conditions? However, in my case, the problem computer does not have an Internet connection.