587,733 active members*
2,561 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > just another 45 build thread

Hybrid View

[QUOTE=CS900;1257713
    switching gears again, Is there a reason people don't mount their encoders directly to the ballscrew? I've ordered my ballscrews with a bit of meat on the end with the intention of attaching the encoder to it to reduce any error introduced by the pulley and belt drive from the servo. It seems like a trivial amount of extra work, but I haven't seen any builds that implement it.[/QUOTE]

Industrial Hobbies put their encoders on the screws. There are advantages and disadvantages, just like everything else. A disadvantage is the servo could dither more trying to find its happy place if there is any amount of flex in the connection between the servo and the ballscrew - either the mounts, the belt or even the servo shaft and bearing. This shouldn't be a problem but just so you know....Also, with the encoder on the ballscrew you usually need to run a much higher count encoder (basically whatever the multiplier is between the servo and ballscrew ie 2 to 4 times higher to get the same resolution. So where a 512 PPR encoder is good on a servo a 2048 PPR is equivalent on a ballscrew with a 4:1 reduction from the servo. Again this isn't much of an issue if using an encoder that can be configured for different PPR like the AMT103-V by CUI....

Mike

Well I happen to be running the AMT103s, so I should be good to go. Thanks for the info.

Fixed end bearing blocks are done, just need the darn ballscrews to show up so I can double check all me dims before I go making the ballnut mounts.