587,216 active members*
2,576 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Hardinge Conquest 42 Turret will not clamp FULLY.

Hardinge Conquest 42 Turret will not clamp FULLY.

Having a problem with our turret clamping fully. It's in but short about .040" of a tight clamp. Turret unclamp alarm now. Happened gradually over 15 minutes. Got the turret unclamp condition, visually everything looked OK. So I adjusted the sensor just a little bit, alarm gone. A few cycles later, same alarm, but now the turret is visibly not engaging totally. Turret completely rebuilt 14 months ago and been working great. You can rock the rock in between the engaging teeth, so it doesn't seem like there's an obstruction in the back somewhere. Also, it's the entire unity, so it's not like the 2 locknuts are loose on the axle.
    Switched out the turret unclamp solinoid on the hydraulic manifold from another conquest, no change. Opened up the valve that controls the speed the turret seats, no change.
    Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Turret issues

Quote Originally Posted by steer View Post
    Having a problem with our turret clamping fully. It's in but short about .040" of a tight clamp. Turret unclamp alarm now. Happened gradually over 15 minutes. Got the turret unclamp condition, visually everything looked OK. So I adjusted the sensor just a little bit, alarm gone. A few cycles later, same alarm, but now the turret is visibly not engaging totally. Turret completely rebuilt 14 months ago and been working great. You can rock the rock in between the engaging teeth, so it doesn't seem like there's an obstruction in the back somewhere. Also, it's the entire unity, so it's not like the 2 locknuts are loose on the axle.
    Switched out the turret unclamp solinoid on the hydraulic manifold from another conquest, no change. Opened up the valve that controls the speed the turret seats, no change.
    Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
    Here are my thoughts on your turret. That machine usually doesnt need that prox switch adjusted. So when you did that, im assuming that it wasnt clamp fully. I would look at the turret index belt. also i would look at how much play there is when the turret is unclamped. When you try to rotate the turret's face plate, you should notice a little "backlash" if you have alot, the pins in the bronze worm gear could be broken/worn. If not you could also reset the machine Grid shift (parameter 1850 "a-axis") if it doesnt have abs encoders. My guess would be too much play in the worm gear/transmission or bad belt/cog pullies corroted. Hope this helps any!!

AN10 locknut alone backed off to the point of touching the gear. I guess if we spun the turret in the right direction it would have gone back on for the time being. ALWAYS USE LOCTITE in these situations!

Another problem

Well we fixed the locknut issue and all was good for a time. This morning the turret went to index and made a deep sqeeking noise, but did index. It will always index OK, but sometimes makes the noise, sometimes not. Opened the access panel for the prox switch to check belt and such. All looks goods, but the noise is a bit louder with the panel off.
    Any thoughts? I thought maybe a bearing in the servo? Seemed a lot better after running a bit, but worried about tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by steer View Post
    AN10 locknut alone backed off to the point of touching the gear. I guess if we spun the turret in the right direction it would have gone back on for the time being. ALWAYS USE LOCTITE in these situations!

New issue. When the turret indexes it sometimes makes a sound like a sneaker on a basketball court. It's quick. But turret seems to operate OK. Aging equipment!!!!! Anyone have an idea?