587,415 active members*
3,430 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How I would I model this?

I am trying to model this part of my dash. I would like to make an aluminum plate with some engraving and switches to fit in its place. What is the best way to model this?

I have access to AutoCAD and Inventor.
    I tried to trace the image using AutoCAD, both with splines and curves. My approach was to trace half, then mirror the lines. I just can't get an acceptable result.

Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF4008 (Small).JPG  

I think I might glue down some paper and cut it out with a pencil knife, then scan the template. This way I can ensure my "picture" is a straight on view.

I'd use a photo, hold the camera as far away as possible, perpendicular to the surface, zoomed to fill about 60% of the frame, the closer the camera then the more perspective distortion, trace over the photo in cad, print on transparency film, hold that over the surface to confirm accuracy
    www.signtorch.com

Silly question, can the part be removed from the dash? If the outside profile is all you want, you could simply place it in a flatbed scanner and scan it. Depending on your scanner, you might have to play with the contrast settings when scanning to enhance or sharpen the edges. Once you have the image there are several tools that will generate dxf or gcode from the image. Inkscape being one such.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

Quote Originally Posted by hndswthtshdws View Post
    Any ideas?
    Maybe you can go to the car dealers parts dept and get a print out of the part?

trace it on paper, scan it or measure it to get close with autocad, print it out and check the fit, adjust dimensions and check fit again, rinse and repeat until satisfied.

Matt

You mean something like the attachment? I skewed your image to get it closer to horizontal. Then used Acme TraceART to extract a DXF file. Then used MasterCam to clean up the DXF file. You will still need to scale it for actual size.
    Attached Files Attached Files

txcncman; thank you for trying but its not quite right. I ended up using the rinse and repeat method.

I tried several raster to vector methods. I'm not convinced they work for photos.

I think this will be the best way to go with that is trace it on paper, scan it or measure it to get close with auto cad, print it out and check the fit and repetition will make it more accurate.
    markdlee

I do stuff like this all the time in TurboCad. Guys will send me a photo or scan of a splitter or riving knife for a table saw. With one or two known dimensions, you can scale the photo to be lifesize. Then it is just a matter of redrawing over the image. It's fairly simple and yields great results.
    Lee

How about vectorizing it
    Never comes out in great detail though
    And if you want great detail you'll be spending some time tracing in whichever cad system you use
    CHOCLATE? THIS IS DOODOO BABY!

Cool

I think you have to model this on the paper and check the auto cad for model it...
    Or you have to check it by experts....
    needham-laser.com