587,775 active members*
2,710 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Whats in my box

I am was wondering if anyone knew the make and model of my cnc6040 stepper driver controller and my vfd

Quote Originally Posted by belkrem View Post
    I am was wondering if anyone knew the make and model of my cnc6040 stepper driver controller and my vfd.[
    Can't id the controller board, but the VFD looks a lot like one marketed as a NOWFOREVER E100.

A GOOGLE search for DEMA VFD didn't bring up anything at first look. i'll try a different search key later

Does the controller board have any markings on it ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC6040_VFD_FOREVER.jpg  

Some Chinese manufacturers or resellers actually erase the visible numbers (Product/Model codes) on components/microchips so you won't figure out what it actually is. Good luck finding it out.

It looks like a custom version of the 3 axis TBA6560 or new TB6600 boards

with the option of either a 26 way IDC ribbon connector or 25 way D-Type

and a relay ( top left )

john

Dear Belkrem

I think, I have the same VFD. Where did you get your Router from? I got mine from CNC Base on Aliexpress. (4axis 1.5KW spindle CNC Router / cnc engraving machine/ cnc engraver 6040 220V&110V DRILLING / MILLING mahcine with 2.2KW VFD-in Wood Router from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com)

I got at least a manual with it, but I am not completely shure, whether it is exactly for my VFD.

regards
    Andreas

Hi Belkrem,

I have the same CNC6040 as you. I brought my unit from a Australian reseller, thinking local support could be good. However they have been unable to supply any information on the VFD.

I have exactly the same stepper motor driver, however the VFD looks identical, but branded differently.
    Attachment 195726

Googling for Zechuan or Hangzhou anc electronic shows nothing.

I assume your controls look like this?
    Attachment 195728

I have my CNC 6040 all working, however I'm keen to drive the VFD from Mach3 via the RS485 interface (MODBUS). I have connected to the RS485 port, but have been unable to get any response from the VFD. I have a manual for the Huanyang VFD and all the programming registers (Front panel) look the same. I have tried the Huanyang VFD plugin for Mach3 with no success. I can't even talk with it from a MODBUS program at this stage.

On a Electrical safety note, these CNC6040's are not electrically safe at all. My unit was sold from a Australian reseller, but does not meet Australian electrical safety.
    I would make sure your bed is earthed as a minimum. If there is a fault with the spindle motor or even the connector, the metal work can become live.

Attachment 195730
    The spindle motor connector is very interesting. There is 220V 3phases on the pins and you can touch these if you want. What more the outer metalwork of the connector is not earthed as the back panel is a piece of fibreglass. If a wire was to break it can make this connector live and you wouldn't want to touch it!

My concern now is who makes these VFD's and what safety regulations do they meet. There is no safety markings on the unit at all!

Wayne

Hi Wayne

I have the same box bought in China. Same experience with RS485 as you have. There was no reply. In other threads people wrote about lacking chips in some of the VFDs. So far, I was not able to verify.

From my supplier, I got a manual from DEMA. It looks very similar to Huanyang. Our series start with a G, the series in the manual start with a D.
    I gound DEMA on the net but no reference to our manufacturer.

regards
    Andreas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails D5M user manual V1.10.pdf  

Hi All,

A very big thank you to Andreas for the manual. Very nice!

So what is inside our VFD?
    Attachment 196052

Switching Transistor side (IGBT's or MOSFETS)
    Attachment 196054

Capacitor bank side
    Attachment 196056

Overall it looks well built minus a few poor solder joints. All the boards have been well cleaned and comformal coated.

Attachment 196058

The top board is labelled D5M, just like the manual. Down the bottom left side, the 8 pin chip is the RS485 transceiver (75176B). So folks we should be able to get Modbus working on this model. As this stage I still can't get it to respond.

The way I see it the Huanyang VFD plugins for Mach3 should work as it's the same protocol and register set.
    The only thing to point out at this stage is register P169. On the Huanyang this is reserved.

This is the communication protocol selection for the Dema VFD.
    0: Standard Modbus
    1: Dema Comms Protocol (Default)

I can now report I have had my VFD controlled from Mach3 for a few good weeks now using the HuanyangVFD plugin.

To start of with these VFDs are counterfeit versions of ZHEJIANG DEMA ELECTRIC CO., LTD. Therefore DEMA will not support these.

The problem is the RS485 connection on the counterfeit versions that we have are not wired nor programmed correctly and therefore you can't get them working. (Well I have, but it's not easy!)

The problem is when the VFD boots up the microcontroller initializes the RS485 transceiver into transmit mode. Therefore you will never be able to send any commands to the unit until the RS485 transceiver is put into receive mode. The only way to do that is to force a command directly to the microcontroller bypassing the RS485. Once it gets a correctly formatted command it sends a response putting the RS485 transceiver into receive mode. A part from a small wiring issue that is about it and then it works until you reboot the VFD!

I have decided the easiest way to control these VFDs is to wire a RS232 or USB connection directly to the microcontroller. This should only be done by experienced electronics persons as VFDs contain very dangerous electronics that can say charged up well after disconnecting the power. The microcontroller TXD and RXD lines are 5V logic making connection to a MAX232 easy.

Here is my bench testing with a FTDI USB to serial converter. The 10 Pin header (Top Right) contains 5V, GND, TXD and RXD pins making life easy.

Attachment 203338

I just cut a hole in the lid for the wires.

Attachment 203340

Pinout for 10Pin Header

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dema VFD.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	203344