587,313 active members*
3,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant pump problems

I'm having trouble with the coolant pump occasionally stopping. This time, it did it after working two days without a problem. Luckily, I was about 1 minute away from finishing a part, so I just kept going.

Typical issue is - it will work for an hour or so, then just quit. After a while, it might come back on. If I leave the machine off for a while, it often just works when I get back.

I'm wondering if it is overheating, or if the electrics are just screwy on my machine somehow. Has anyone seen anything similar with their pump?

Do a search. This has been recently discussed. Many of us have replace the pump with a Home Depot sump pump with very good results.

Thanks Steve, I had a very quick look but didn't see any threads on the subject.

I thought I remembered something a while back about people replacing their pumps. Looks like I'm headed down this track as well.

I used a $50 sump pump from Menards. Would never go back. Here's the thread:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...mp_issues.html

I took my pump apart and coated the bottom with anti-sieze (as was recommended in another thread.) It hasn't given me any problems since then.

Does the pump actually stop running or does your coolant flow stop?

Coolant flow can stop if the liquid level gets low in the sump or if there is a lot of foam in the tank.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Spooq View Post
    I'm having trouble with the coolant pump occasionally stopping. This time, it did it after working two days without a problem. Luckily, I was about 1 minute away from finishing a part, so I just kept going.

Typical issue is - it will work for an hour or so, then just quit. After a while, it might come back on. If I leave the machine off for a while, it often just works when I get back.

I'm wondering if it is overheating, or if the electrics are just screwy on my machine somehow. Has anyone seen anything similar with their pump?
    The stock coolant pump is not very tolerant to the coolant level being down more than about 25%. It is one of the weaker parts of the PCNC design. I figure there are about 6 gallons of water in the tank when it is full. If it drops much below 4.5, flow reduces then stops.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinro View Post
    The stock coolant pump is not very tolerant to the coolant level being down more than about 25%. It is one of the weaker parts of the PCNC design. I figure there are about 6 gallons of water in the tank when it is full. If it drops much below 4.5, flow reduces then stops.
    I made a sight glass for my Tormach tank and it runs great much lower than yours. I marked 1 gallon increments on the glass and I can run fine down to about 1.5 gallons. Just another data point.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Does the pump actually stop running or does your coolant flow stop?

Coolant flow can stop if the liquid level gets low in the sump or if there is a lot of foam in the tank.

Mike
    Tank was definitely full, I had only refilled it that morning.

I couldn't hear a relay click when I turned it back on. I seem to remember that in the past, the pump noise would start but no coolant would flow. My memory is pretty bad though!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooq View Post
    Tank was definitely full, I had only refilled it that morning.

I couldn't hear a relay click when I turned it back on. I seem to remember that in the past, the pump noise would start but no coolant would flow. My memory is pretty bad though!
    The tank could still be low if there was a lot of coolant pooled up in the chip tray or the coolant drawer under the tray. Not likely, maybe, but very easy to check and it is better to eliminate the easy problems before tackling the more difficult ones.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff E. View Post
    I made a sight glass for my Tormach tank and it runs great much lower than yours. I marked 1 gallon increments on the glass and I can run fine down to about 1.5 gallons. Just another data point.

Jeff
    Picture?

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    Picture?
    Picture as requested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sight Glass.jpg  

Re: Coolant pump problems

Thanks! Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff E. View Post
    Picture as requested.
    Yes, that is a great idea!
    Next time I pull the tank out for cleaning I am going to try to implement something like that.
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Coolant pump problems

I put the pump on the bench yesterday, plugged it in and... Nothing. Started pulling it apart, making a fine mess, and then for some reason tried it again, and I could hear it trying to turn. Undid all the bolts and spun the shaft a couple times and then it ran on the bench.

Plugged it back into the machine and again, nothing. Replaced the fuse on the cord to the machine, no change. Opened up the control cabinet, found the right fuse by following the numbered wires, and it was kaput.

I guess the pump got a bit stuck, as they seem liable to do, and drew too much current. I will just replace the fuse for now, if this turns into a regular occurance I will have to fork out for a new pump.

Thanks all!