587,726 active members*
3,429 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by btu44 View Post
    The cuts at the end are heavier than was possible before the PDB.
    That makes no sense.... The PDB can't possibly enable heavier cuts, unless you were under-tightening it before. You can get the drawbar MUCH tighter manually than the PDB can.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    That makes no sense.... The PDB can't possibly enable heavier cuts, unless you were under-tightening it before. You can get the drawbar MUCH tighter manually than the PDB can.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Just like alot of things, tighter doesn't always mean more clamping pressure.
    I think I've increased clamping surface area and it's why the improvement.
    But all I can say is I'm not a newbie at this, I've done work that required alot of roughing on the PCNC1100 and I know how to tighten a draw bar.
    Tormach PCNC1100, Mach 3 R3.043.037, MastercamX5 level 3.

Quote Originally Posted by btu44 View Post
    Just like alot of things, tighter doesn't always mean more clamping pressure.
    I think I've increased clamping surface area and it's why the improvement.
    But all I can say is I'm not a newbie at this, I've done work that required alot of roughing on the PCNC1100 and I know how to tighten a draw bar.
    Well, I gotta wonder if there are some funky collets floating around out there, as there have been a number of people having pull-out problems lately. I've been using TTS with several different machines, and several different collets for years. I've never experienced pull-out, either working manually, or with my PDB, which tightens the drawbar to 30 ft-lbs. If the collet and spindle are as they should be, tighter should be better, and a PDB should make no difference, other than convenience.

Regards,
    Ray L.