587,466 active members*
3,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Using ver. 7 w/ ver. 8 security hasp

Using ver. 7 w/ ver. 8 security hasp

Does anyone know how to configure Sprutcam 7 to run with the Version 8 security hasp.

So far I regret upgrading to version 8. It creates toolpaths much slower and has default settings that are way out of line with version 7. The few positive changes (aside from changing lay of screens and dialog boxes) seem trivial vs the headaches.

I have work that I need to get done and version 7 allowed me to be more productive.

You can use SC7 with the new dongle. There is a file on the install disk called STRegister7, you need to take that file replace the file of the same name found at C:\ProgramData\Sprut Technology\Licence, on your Windows & and Vista computer, or at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sprut Technology\License, on your Windows XP computer.
    *******REMEMBER********* the files ProgramData, and Application Data are hidden files, so you will have to "show hidden files"
    Now restart SprutCAM.

cheers
    AlanK

Quote Originally Posted by saabaero View Post
    Does anyone know how to configure Sprutcam 7 to run with the Version 8 security hasp.
    Copy the "STRegister7.stj" file from the SC 8 DVD to this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Sprut Technology\Licence

which should overwrite the SC 7 HASP version of that file.

You may need to set Win 7 to show hidden files.

Apparently, Sprut is regulalrly uploading fixes to SC 8 so you may want to try new builds periodically.

Mike

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Sorry for the delay in getting back with a reply but I just now got the time to try transferring the license file from the installation disk.

When I try starting Sprutcam 7 with the new license file and the new (ver. 8) hasp it does nothing. I mean nothing. When I open the program the spinner spins for a couple seconds but then nothing appears on the screen - not even the "hardware key not found" error. If I look at the system processes or applications running Sprut doesn't show up anywhere.

If I rename the new license file and transfer the old license file back and run Sprut 7 with the new ver.8 hasp I now get a "hardware key not found" error message. If I plug in the version 7 hasp the program will run normally.

I called Tormach Sprut tech support but no one seems to be available today.

Have you tried checking the Windows Task Manager to see if SprutCam is loaded into memory?

Mike

Yes, I did in fact check the task manager. I probably wasn't clear enough in my previous message but I didn't see any Sprut related processes running nor did I see Sprutcam appear under the applications tab. I've never seen anything like it. I even tried opening the application numerous times but each time it does the same thing. Unplug the Ver. 8 hasp and I will then get the "hardware key not found" message when I open the application again. Use the ver. 7 license file and hasp and the program starts up and runs fine.

Quote Originally Posted by saabaero View Post
    Thanks for the prompt responses.

If I rename the new license file and transfer the old license file back and run Sprut 7 with the new ver.8 hasp I now get a "hardware key not found" error message. If I plug in the version 7 hasp the program will run normally.
    Saabaero
    I think your problem may be that you have to install SCx with the dongle inserted and the STRegx file located in the correct directory.

Hope this helps.

[QUOTE=bevinp;1210323]Saabaero
    I think your problem may be that you have to install SCx with the dongle inserted and the STRegx file located in the correct directory.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean but are you saying I should reinstall Sprutcam 7 with the ver. 8 hasp connected? It would seem to me it should work without reinstalling Sprut 7 but stranger things have occurred.

saabaero,
    I have not tried to install SC8, but with SC7, it will say "hardware key not found" if you re-install SC7 without the dongle inserted and STR file in the correct directory.

By the way, if you have modified the standard tool library, save a copy of it somewhere else because it will be overwritten with the standard .csv file during installation.
    Bevin

Sorry I didn't get back but with the Holidays I got pulled in different directions.

I did get through to Eric from Tormach and he installed the latest version of Sprutcam 7 and after that the version 8 hasp appears to work.

I don't necessarily think it had anything to do with the new version but more to do with reinstalling the version 7 software with the version 8 hasp installed. But who knows!?

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

SprutCAM 7 on the 8 key....

fighting this now. the version that works best for me... 47769... and it will not work with the dongle for 8 All Post version. i have tried 3 prior versions on a clean install of Windows 7 64bit. None of them will see the key. Period.

The problems i am having is that when i work my job in sprutcam from roughing through finishing, memory errors, program freezes and more blossom. with 47769, i don't know what it is with it, but it usually makes it through all the jobs. Every version i have tried of 7 and now 3 versions of 8 since i bought it (plus 2 before that) crash and burn.

So there's something in newer sprutcam 7 that allows it to read the key. and theres also something there that won't allow it to run well.

very frustrating.