587,302 active members*
3,157 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Feedback on V25

Can some people give me their thoughts on how long it took them to learn V25 mill standard? Never used a cam software always used Autocad and demo seemed to look easy, but then again it's a demo with an experienced user. Any feedback would be much appreciated, and especially from ones that came from my shoes. Thank you for reading this.

More than 100 views and nobody can give me any input??

It's not an easy answer. It's like asking how long it would take to learn a foreign language. Some will pick it up quick and others will struggle.

For me I had CAD experience from another program, so when I started Bobcad I was making parts within a couple of hours. I bought the training videos and watched the ones that pertained to the immediate tasks that I was attempting.

For me and many others,we came from earlier versions of BoB,so the answers would be no good for you.But I have to tell you,I am still learning after 4 years.So a better question may be to be specific in what your tryng to do.I ran the simplest of parts in about 3 weeks with no experience in cad or cam or cnc mill.The majority of that time spent on getting Post Processor working(I had help with that)Learning how to turn on the CNC and enter offsets,And learning just to draw.That was like learning a foreign language even for the most simple of things.You have Cad experience,that is a huge plus.Do you have CNC experience?I did not.Do you have Machinist experience?I had a bunch,thats what I do.Do you have Computer skills,it sounds like you must.I had ZERO.
    One of the easiest things for me,apart from how to machine,was learning the CAM .
    So you can see I cannot give you a very accurate answer.it just depends.

I have no formal CAM/CAD experience. I previously created parts in Vcarve, a simple, but powerful software in it's own right, nothing like BobCad. I had a difficult when I started out, but I was also trying to learn BobCad, get a cnc lathe installed, get a PP made, make parts and trying to learn the idiosyncrasies of my cnc lathe. Maybe if I hadn't been so stressed things would have soaked in faster. BobCad is a great deal for the price, probably not the easiest to learn from the beginning, but it's not like trying to learn a foreign language. The biggest thing is the forum and the tech team at Bobcad. There aren't too many places where you can get help from so many knowledgeable people.

Quote Originally Posted by edwardc View Post
    More than 100 views and nobody can give me any input??
    It took me about 45 minutes. But you laid out a criteria for response that didnt fit me. I would imagine that the 100 views were not from people just starting out with BobCad for the first time.

It took me about about a month of playing with it in the evenings to get a useable program. But i never used or seen any kind of cad or cam software at all.
    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

okay...i will give you some real feedback and honest feedback..

i purchased bobcad back in 2008 when i did not have a machine....i tried to work with it and never could get the hang of up....i think it was v21 at the time... years went by and last summer I upgraded to v25... around 1 month after receiving my first machine...

it took me around 2 weeks and i was making parts...the reason it took me so long was i took my time learning and asking questions... sean,al,burr,jrmach and many others here helped me with questions...

so to answer your question,everything did not go smooth..there were hicups..but for the most part study and reading every day...i was able to pickup quick...i know only enough to do what i need to do...but i am still learning and self teaching everyday ... the software is so worth the money and very powerful....
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

Read the command line at the bottom left on the screen. It tells you what to do. Drillig holes, profiles and simple surfaces are easy in standard. The machining is the hard part.

I learned Autocad first at another company, then bought a small CNC mill, BobCadCam Pro, and it was pretty easy but as Big Chips says there were hicups. The things that made it easy was the forum and I purchased the support. I also had the videos. All 3 were/are very helpful. I had very little experience in manual milling and zero in CNC/CAM, so it was pretty easy. Just need to be patient. At first I really missed Autocad because things were a little different in drawing, but now I would hate to have to go back to Autocad.
    David L. Aery
    www.hooksolutions.com

Quote Originally Posted by edwardc View Post
    Can some people give me their thoughts on how long it took them to learn V25 mill standard? Never used a cam software always used Autocad and demo seemed to look easy, but then again it's a demo with an experienced user. Any feedback would be much appreciated, and especially from ones that came from my shoes. Thank you for reading this.
    I got the program about a month ago and have zero time doing CAD or Cam software.

Took me about 3-4 day's to design my first simple 2D peace and cut it on my router, Now I can do the same thing in about 20 minutes.

I still have a long way to go but am very happy with it so far and would recommend it to any one.

Just watch all the videos they have, I watched them over and over until I could figure out what little I can do. :cheers:

Milton