587,243 active members*
3,312 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Finecut problems

We have a powermax 1100 with the rt80m machine torch. it's on our torchmate and it's been working fine. I bought the finecut consumables kit for a job I'm cutting out of 10 and 16 gauge. I tried cutting a test piece our of 10ga, the thc went down came up to pierce height and then fired but that was it a couple sparks and it pierced maybe half way through and then nothing. I put in the 40A consumables that i've been using for 10ga and it works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks

Today I took the finecut consumables out of the cnc and put them in our powermax 1000 manual machine. They worked just fine. now i'm really confused. what would make the cnc machine cut ok with standard consumables but not with the finecut? I moved my ground closer to where i'm cutting and tried it with the pressure as low as 40 and as high as 130.

Did you change out the shield to the finecut shield ?

How about the voltage setting on your THC ? Should be around 80V vs 130V for regular consumables.

Those were the 2 problems I had when I first used the finecut stuff.

Willy

The Powermax1100 does not work with FineCut consumables.....it is not designed with the correct pilot arc current and air flow to do so. Being an older product...there is no fix for it without redesigning the pilot ar control circuitry. The 1100 was discontinued from Hypertherms product line before the FineCut consumables were developed.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by amishmafia00 View Post
    We have a powermax 1100 with the rt80m machine torch. it's on our torchmate and it's been working fine. I bought the finecut consumables kit for a job I'm cutting out of 10 and 16 gauge. I tried cutting a test piece our of 10ga, the thc went down came up to pierce height and then fired but that was it a couple sparks and it pierced maybe half way through and then nothing. I put in the 40A consumables that i've been using for 10ga and it works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks

the torch will initiate a pilot arc as long as the torch doesn't contact the material first. the torchmate height controller goes down and touches the material first. originally i was using them unshielded, after reading some of jims posts i got several of the ohmic sensing shields to keep the nozzle from contacting the material. but it will still only fire if the torch doesn't touch the material.

the hypertherm consumables brochure lists finecut kit 128888 as being compatable with the rt80m torch, then it has a note that says that the rt80 and rt80m torches are designed for the powermax 1100!

finecut

I have a similar problem with my 1650 using finecut tips. It won't fire on the 2nd cut while the cooling postflow air is on, I have to wait till it stops then continue cutting. Probably something wrong with the torches.

Usually this indicates that your torch air pressure is set too high. Follow the proper procedure for setting plasma air flow...it must be set with the amperage knob turned fully clockwise...this makes the air flow...then adjust the regulator until the LED's indicate proper pressure. Be sure to set the amperage knob back to the correct setting.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    I have a similar problem with my 1650 using finecut tips. It won't fire on the 2nd cut while the cooling postflow air is on, I have to wait till it stops then continue cutting. Probably something wrong with the torches.