587,818 active members*
2,876 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X2 Cnc conversion. Questions about Z, Y and Z axes adjustment

X2 Cnc conversion. Questions about Z, Y and Z axes adjustment

I am converting a Sieg X2 to CNC. I use CNC Fusion kit. I have the high torque machine with the short table. The build proceeds but there are some alignment issues and noise issues from the ballscrews/ballnuts.

Some questions to the experts on this forum:
    =================================

1) The hole in the top alu block didn't line up exactly in the center of the tapped hole in the machine back by itself after mounting the Z axis assy from CNCFusion . I have mounted it with the large bolt and two screws. I had to use some light persuation (force) to get the hole in the top mounting aligned over the hole in the back of the machine. Is that normal?

2) How do I adjust the Z axis gib screws?? The Z axis is in the way so I cant get to them. Should that have been adjusted previously? What is the adjustment procedure anyway?

3) How do I get rid of the ball screw noise sounds from the Z axis? It sounds noisy but there are no binding it feels like. Are any adjustments necessary. How do I adjust this?

4) How do I adjust the machine so that ball screw noise on Z and Y axis disappears? Gibs? Fastening screw for the ballnut assemblies to the "wagons"?

Please see images. (I use a drill for running the Z axis up and down since I havent finished the stepper control electronic assy yet).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2332_w600_edited.jpg   IMG_2377_w600_edited.jpg   IMG_2371_w600_edited.jpg   IMG_2369_w600.jpg  

I may be able to help on some of these.... although not from direct experience. I just have seen others mention similar issues so I'll pass the general answers on.

1) The X2 machines have a lot of play in hole placement, so you may have to slightly tweak the holes on the kit to fit your machine. Generally, you shouldn't be applying force to your ballscrews to make them line up.

2) This is a known issue with some conversion kits. There are modifications you can make to the kit to allow you to get to the adjustment screws but I don't have a link handy... you can probably find it with some searching.

Noise/Binding has so many possible causes I can't help much there.
    Q: How many tools does it take before a simple task becomes a project?
    A: Just one. I'm the Tool that turns a simple task in to a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1000 View Post
    I am converting a Sieg X2 to CNC. I use CNC Fusion kit. I have the high torque machine with the short table. The build proceeds but there are some alignment issues and noise issues from the ballscrews/ballnuts.

Some questions to the experts on this forum:
    =================================

1) The hole in the top alu block didn't line up exactly in the center of the tapped hole in the machine back by itself after mounting the Z axis assy from CNCFusion . I have mounted it with the large bolt and two screws. I had to use some light persuation (force) to get the hole in the top mounting aligned over the hole in the back of the machine. Is that normal?

2) How do I adjust the Z axis gib screws?? The Z axis is in the way so I cant get to them. Should that have been adjusted previously? What is the adjustment procedure anyway?

3) How do I get rid of the ball screw noise sounds from the Z axis? It sounds noisy but there are no binding it feels like. Are any adjustments necessary. How do I adjust this?

4) How do I adjust the machine so that ball screw noise on Z and Y axis disappears? Gibs? Fastening screw for the ballnut assemblies to the "wagons"?
    1. You will need to machine the slot to fit. If you have a drill press, clamp the block to the table and take gentle bites. I've done this before.

2. You need to do that before you install the ball screw block. Poor design.

3. You live with the noise. Those ball screws are rolled, and rolled screws are noisy. Try using a thick oil like Vactra #3. The noise wont go away, but is much reduced.

4. Again, rolled screws make noise.

After it is all assembled, you will need to see how much lash you have and then decide if you want to live with it or repack the ball screws. Repackijng with larger balls would mean complete disassembly. Are we having fun yet?