587,513 active members*
2,749 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Noise in 2HP vari speed head.

My bridgeport begins to make a substantial rattle noise beginning at about 2400 rpm and by 2800, it is even louder. I was reading and suspect this is belt noise from a loose or stretched belt.

What does it entail replacing the belt and what so I look for to determine if the pulleys need to be replaced? Thanks, Jim

varispeed bushings.

belt just snaps eventually

I agree, bushings. Not a job for the faint of heart IMO. We have guys at work that rebuild Bridgeport heads, if you don't have the sequence down, they don't come out very well.

I have a limited budget and plan to do the repair myself. You mention that if you don't know what you are doing, the results can be poor.

What are some of the pitfalls in rebuilding? Is there a good guide on the web that would help? Thanks, Jim

PN 1036-20, REPAIR KIT, 2 HP

those guys have about everything for a bridgeport...IIRC theres exploded diagrams on their site too

OK, silly question. Does it make the rattle sound with the draw bar is in place. I had a loud rattle noise in my head at higher speeds. Turned out it was the draw bar being out of balance. I put an O ring over the shaft to keep it central, no more noise. Anyway worth a look.

Cam

No, not a silly question. The head makes noise in hi, lo, and neutral. I'm sure the previous posters are correct. It is in the pulleys, bushing and belt. I heard a very loud pop once when the rear pulley stuck open and slammed closed. It has not stuck open since but it certainly tells me there are problems.

I found this site that seems like really good information on rebuilding.

Knee Mill How To Tips

Let me know what you guys think about the info posted and any additions that would be useful. Thanks, Jim