587,490 active members*
5,268 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Taig Mills / Lathes > how to remove chuck from Taig rotary table?

how to remove chuck from Taig rotary table?

Last year I bought a 4-axis Taig CNC with a rotary table like this one .
    The 3-jaw chuck was attached to the rotary table when I got it. It also came with a trunion table like this one.

Now I would like to try using the trunion table but I cannot seem to get the chuck off of the rotary table. What is the trick to it? I have removed the nut from the bottom of the threaded adapter at the base of the table, and tried to just lift the chuck off, but it didn't budge. I've tried to unscrew the chuck, and I've given it a little tap on the nut to try to dislodge it... it won't unscrew and it seems pretty firmly stuck.
    Is the chuck threaded onto the rotary table or is it placed into the center hole and just held by the nut at the bottom?

Thanks for your help....

I thought mine was just screwed into the center, but now I'm not sure either.

The chuck should be able to unscrew from a dual sided threaded coupler.

It is part number "37090 - Rotary Table Chuck Adapter" so you can do a search for it if you'd like.

Hope that helps-
    Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sherline_37090.jpg  
    Dave->..

thanks...

so... the nut remains threaded onto the bottom of the adapter, the adapter remains in the table center hole, and the chuck simply unscrews from the adapter? Is there any retaining mechanism that I need to remove (a set screw or keyway... something that keeps the chuck from unscrewing itself due to cutter torque), or is the chuck just torqued on real tight?

-- dean

Just out of curiosity, where did you purchase your trunnion table?

I just purchased a small 4th axis, and would like to find (or make) something similar to your table to machine guitar necks. That looks pretty handy.

Thanks

The trunnion table and rotary table all came with the mill. I bought it second hand off craigslist but it is a DeepGroove1 product (Deepgroove1 Home Page).
    Might be too small for a guitar neck...

Quote Originally Posted by dwneumann View Post
    thanks...

so... the nut remains threaded onto the bottom of the adapter, the adapter remains in the table center hole, and the chuck simply unscrews from the adapter? Is there any retaining mechanism that I need to remove (a set screw or keyway... something that keeps the chuck from unscrewing itself due to cutter torque), or is the chuck just torqued on real tight?

-- dean
    Dean,

My "guess" is that is must be just very tightly attached as this is the way mine is set up, BUT, that doesn't mean that it hasn't been modified by someone.

Dave
    Dave->..

The trunnion table and rotary table all came with the mill. I bought it second hand off craigslist but it is a DeepGroove1 product (Deepgroove1 Home Page).
    Might be too small for a guitar neck...
    Thanks, that's helpful! I'll see of he sells the trunnion separately, as his sight just lists it complete with the rotary table, which I've already got.

Yes, you are correct, it would be too short for a guitar neck, but it looks like I could easily replace the connecting fixture plate with one of almost any length as needed. I can add my vacuum clamp setup to the fixture plate surface, and away we go...

ok thanks I'll try unscrewing it with gusto.
    It is right hand thread isn't it??

ok thanks I'll try unscrewing it with gusto.
    It is right hand thread isn't it??
    Correct, lefty-loosey, righty-tighty

Dave
    Dave->..

It yielded with a little persuasion and penetrating lubricant.
    Yay!

Excellent, glad it worked out for you-

Dave
    Dave->..