587,515 active members*
2,976 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Turning 4.5" .250 wall 4140 110 10ft long
Page 1 of 2 12

Turning 4.5" .250 wall 4140 110 10ft long

I am looking for some proven methods to ensure I dont run into any chatter or any other problems when I turn 6.250" OD to 4.960" OD over 125". This will leave me with approx .250 wall which will be thin. Look forward to hearing some proven techniques I can utilize to make sure I do it right. I can use my steady rest and put it between centers doing one pass completes or I can utilize the thru hole and do half in half. I await some wisdom on this. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Joe2242 View Post
    I am looking for some proven methods to ensure I dont run into any chatter or any other problems when I turn 6.250" OD to 4.960" OD over 125". This will leave me with approx .250 wall which will be thin. Look forward to hearing some proven techniques I can utilize to make sure I do it right. I can use my steady rest and put it between centers doing one pass completes or I can utilize the thru hole and do half in half. I await some wisdom on this. Thanks in advance
    The absolute best method is to get people who have been working in the trade to just give you the simple solution without you having to do a lick of work to earn it.

If this were my job to do, I'd simply... uh.... well, let's just say I would set up and run the job so that chatter wouldn't develop. There. Isn't that easy?

lol fizz.

give him a trick or 2...... like stuffing the pipe with insulation, packing it in really really tight? or better yet, farm it out? lmao.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shane123 View Post
    lol fizz.

give him a trick or 2...... like stuffing the pipe with insulation, packing it in really really tight? or better yet, farm it out? lmao.....
    ....sssshhhhhhhh..... follow rest......

One place I worked, we had mandrels to hold the ID and lots and lots of rubber hose.

Yes, I do know how to do it.

I've been doing short-run production/prototype machining for almost 50 years, CNC for almost 30.

You come along and want the experience handed to you on a silver F#@n platter???

If you're not willing to take a little flack in exchange for decades of cumulative help (I'm including the COMPLIMENTARY, FREE OF CHARGE offerings of the others here as well)..... then, as they'd say across the pond... Bugger off.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    Yes, I do know how to do it.

I've been doing short-run production/prototype machining for almost 50 years, CNC for almost 30.

You come along and want the experience handed to you on a silver F#@n platter???

If you're not willing to take a little flack in exchange for decades of cumulative help (I'm including the COMPLIMENTARY, FREE OF CHARGE offerings of the others here as well)..... then, as they'd say across the pond... Bugger off.
    yup. I like when i am not fed the exct info, but enough info to get me thinking on the right track to figure it out myself, more learned that way......

poor customers.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Wow....

lol. fizz actually gave the answer away, i just over looked it as being sarcastic

If you could somehow plug each end of the tube you could put some coolant inside the tube, this really helps with chatter.

I don't want to start a flame war here, but I think this is important enough that I should speak up:

This is a community for learning machining, CNC machining and all the problems that come along with those things. It is expected that people will ask questions.

Sometimes they may phrase these questions in ways that make us question the amount of thought they've put into the issue themselves.

These questions should be answered politely, or not at all. To do anything else is to drive people away from the community and to reduce the value of the community as a whole.

Many people have benefited greatly from CNC Zone over the years, I would like to see that continue to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by aarongough View Post
    I don't want to start a flame war here, but I think this is important enough that I should speak up:

This is a community for learning machining, CNC machining and all the problems that come along with those things. It is expected that people will ask questions.

Sometimes they may phrase these questions in ways that make us question the amount of thought they've put into the issue themselves.

These questions should be answered politely, or not at all. To do anything else is to drive people away from the community and to reduce the value of the community as a whole.

Many people have benefited greatly from CNC Zone over the years, I would like to see that continue to happen.
    Not exactly. But close.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Not exactly. But close.
    I honestly hate text-only communication sometimes as so many nuances get lost...

With that in mind I must admit the meaning of your comment went right over my head. Do you think I'm off the mark with my previous statement?

I understand that there should be a bar that we hold people to in terms of doing their own research, and trying things before just asking the experts around here... And believe me, I'm grateful that so many are willing to spend their time answering the questions that have let me get into CNC and machine work.

Even in a cyber community, some of the overall attitudes are still prevalent. One of these attitudes is that of not sharing knowledge that has not been earned. Those asking the questions are judged by those answering the questions as to their level dedication, before answers are given. One of the ways people tell if others are worthy is by hazing rituals. It is viewed that is a person is willing to endure some suffering to reach a goal, they are worthy of assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Even in a cyber community, some of the overall attitudes are still prevalent. One of these attitudes is that of not sharing knowledge that has not been earned. Those asking the questions are judged by those answering the questions as to their level dedication, before answers are given. One of the ways people tell if others are worthy is by hazing rituals. It is viewed that is a person is willing to endure some suffering to reach a goal, they are worthy of assistance.
    I recognized the attitude as I've been on the receiving end of it enough times at various shops I've worked in...

I guess when it comes down to it that I believe in being a bit more open than that. I do understand how frustrating some people can be when they're asking questions though so I understand the drive behind that kind of sentiment.

I'll just chalk it all up to 'different strokes' I guess! No offense was meant by my comments, more of a 'thinking out loud'.

Not a problem. Keep up the good work.

It is often constructive to encourage thinking things out, which leads from rules to understanding the problem.
    Adding water may lower the resonant frequency slightly, which can have the same effect as reducing the speed or increasing the feed. Lot of work for not much return - the wet one.
    But freeze it, and you will kick goals. Liquid nitrogen is fun.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Too bad we lost NC Cams, may he RIP. He certainly had a knack of teaching by sarcasm.LOL

Dick Z
    DZASTR

IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT??

Sharp tool
    (blooming daisies)

Tool on center
    (moring sun streaming thru the window)

Inside of part stuffed with damping material
    (chirping birdies)

A good follow rest
    (Belgian chocolates on a doily)

RPM painfully slow