587,178 active members*
5,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Just got my XJ1212

WOW! ok so i purchased this thing online officially on the 29th of August when payment was made. I used my own agents with my own freight and paid a FOB charge without shipping included. May have cost a little more but then there were no hidden costs, with our wonderful country, thereafter.

Anyway - be that as it may - the machine that arrived really blew me away and I was pleasantly surprised by the build quality and finish. The wiring was ULTRA neat and the way everything was laid out and setup was way better than I had expected. I was sceptical about laying out this amount of money and basically had to be prepared to lose R80,000 in my currency. Around $10,000. So yes the machine is selling for less than $5k but with all the duties and VAT and transport costs and agent costs etc etc etc it was around $10,000. However, still WAY cheaper than R338,000 for a standard machine in this country of around the same capabilities BUT WITHOUT a raised gantry, wireless controller and 4th axis!!
    I managed to get it all setup on the PC – really quickly in fact. PC was installed with a nice clean fresh install of XP, graphics drivers and that’s all!! Plugged in the PCI card, turned it on, installed the NCStudio software, wireless software – rebooted, plugged in the CNC machine to power and to the PC, turned it on and bob’s your uncle – all working!

I still need to setup the container for the water cooling and the spoil board. That will happen this weekend! Also i have a 150w small flood light which i will use over the table and install florescent lighting by the PC. This is temporary till i can get the workshop, which is 120sq/m sorted with weather proofing etc. It was VERY open and airy due to being used for metal work before – welding etc.

Here are the pics when i took delivery:

:cheers::cheers:

WOW that is really cool now I want one too and R80K is pretty good compared to what the shatks in this country are charging. Maybe there is a gap in the market here???

Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by alufly View Post
    WOW that is really cool now I want one too and R80K is pretty good compared to what the shatks in this country are charging. Maybe there is a gap in the market here???

Keith.
    Hey Keith, talking about the gap, I am an agent now for these guys under my own company name. So if you want a machine I will use the same method to get it to you. Let me know. There are smaller machines available.

Let's see some chips!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EBC View Post
    Let's see some chips!!!
    hehehe hey Gene, trust me mat i am rearing to go!! I am picking up some MDF tomorrow for the spoilboard tomorrow and some 3mm for stuff for the kids etc

I have some other wood already to mess around with. Will definitely be working with it this weekend!

Let's see some chips!!!
    hehehe hey Gene, trust me mate i am rearing to go!! I am picking up some MDF tomorrow for the spoilboard some 3mm for stuff for the kids etc

I have some other wood already to mess around with. Will definitely be working with it this weekend!

Hey all

a question - i haven't made any cuts as yet BUT i am planning on some this weekend. I need to design somegthing in Rhino and I also have a bunch of DXF files for kids doll houses for my daughters.

What is the quickest and easiest way to open those files and generate gcode to start cutting?

Also if i wanted to scale up or down some of the DXF files for different wood sizes what would be best to use.

Thanks a mil in advance.

Hey all

I have a buddy who is looking for some plane models to be made. NOT RC models but something he can put in his bar. Particularly a Yak 52, Harvard and a Delfin. Do you know of a site (i have searched) that has these planes that can be cut out of MDF etc?

Thanks in advance.

Hey all

I have a buddy who is looking for some plane models to be made. NOT RC models but something he can put in his bar. Particularly a Yak 52, Harvard and a Delfin. Do you know of a site (i have searched) that has these planes that can be cut out of MDF etc?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    Hey all

a question - i haven't made any cuts as yet BUT i am planning on some this weekend. I need to design somegthing in Rhino and I also have a bunch of DXF files for kids doll houses for my daughters.

What is the quickest and easiest way to open those files and generate gcode to start cutting?

Also if i wanted to scale up or down some of the DXF files for different wood sizes what would be best to use.

Thanks a mil in advance.
    import dxf into toolpath software...i use G-code Arcs (mm)(*.tap) with NCStudio

i see you got 4 pillowblock on Z... it will work great...

look at for this model.. you can break down to wing body, even the pilot modeled..
    but it will require some experiment to do this..
    if oyu havent worked before 3d models... it will be a hard road for you..

yak-52 by fix - 3D Warehouse

it can happen you spend a week to cut thi sairplane... regardless of its size..

import dxf into toolpath software...i use G-code Arcs (mm)(*.tap) with NCStudio
    Thanks for that Gene. Appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    i see you got 4 pillowblock on Z... it will work great...

look at for this model.. you can break down to wing body, even the pilot modeled..
    but it will require some experiment to do this..
    if oyu havent worked before 3d models... it will be a hard road for you..

yak-52 by fix - 3D Warehouse

it can happen you spend a week to cut thi sairplane... regardless of its size..
    Hey Victor

How do you know i have 4 pillow blocks on Z? I wouldn't know unless i opened it i guess hahaha

Thanks for the link appreciated.

shearder

have you checked that airplane?
    thats a full model..

i think others also can be find...

i have same machine... xj1218... working very well.. i like much the remote control.. pendant..

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    shearder

have you checked that airplane?
    thats a full model..

i think others also can be find...

i have same machine... xj1218... working very well.. i like much the remote control.. pendant..
    Hey Victor - yes i checked it and downloaded and i also found the hardvard T6 i was looking for but not the delfin :0 but 2 out of 3 is not bad Thanks again.

Thanks again

chips yet??? what's taking so long?

Lol Gene

Man I looked for a big sheet if MDF this weekend past and no one had stock

I will make a few calls today to find some. I'm itching and my daughter wants her doll house LOL

Frustrating cos I want to get moving!!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Hey all

I have ordered and received a number of end mills from overseas via EBAY mostly HSS - I have also ordered a 13mm TAiN coated 13mm for some aluminium work - How can i tell if my other HSS mills will work on Aluminium? I have someone who wants a LITTLE work done once off but I am not sure if my mills will work. It is normal AL - 6061 and/or 6082.

Thanks.

Well peoples, I got the first carving done today. I did a 100x100mm carving in mdf. Took some trial and error with scale being out etc but it is set in now and this is it - simply my wife's name then my two daughters' names...
    First the mess

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1352659338706.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	170706
    Then the real thing:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1352659436696.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	170708

good to see youre on track..

hss mills generally ok for aluminum..

migth sounds weird, for mdf try to use carbide bits.. the glue, or bonding material in mdf very agressive for tools..
    your hss can become very quicly dulled.. means within one work..

Page 1 of 2 12