587,311 active members*
3,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Mill in Canada - How?

Hi & thanks for looking...

I want a CNC mill and have done hours of research over the last year or so. I have decided that a Sherline or similar would suit the type of work I want to do (RC scale aircraft).

I want a mill complete with CNC not including the computer as I have one.

My issues are more about procurement as with just about everything I want in Canada, the obstacles are seemingly never ending. Basically I need to do this as cheaply as possible when discussing shipping/taxes etc.

The machine is not cheap but I have not been able to find anything to rival them for cost and completeness. I'm still open to suggestions.

I live in Ottawa and I'm well within driving range of Ogdensburg NY to pick up items that can only be shipped in the US. I will have to pay 13% tax upon crossing the border.

Buying locally to avoid shipping costs has not turned up any dealers locally although I have considered buying a large and more solid manual mill from BusyBee or similar and converting it to CNC. I've not found a unit that I could do this to that fits within my budget of $2000-2500. (LeeValley are Taig dealers but only provide special order assistance)

Ebay seems prohibitive because of shipping costs plus 13% tax at the border (even if second hand for which I am furious).

So my Canadian friends, if you mill small parts on CNC mills of this size and capability... what did you buy? How? How did you get it home? And do you have any words of wisdom to help me avoid getting stitched by all and a sundry?

Thank you very much for your time.

Goose

What I do with machinery that is too large for the usual light freight co's is find a trucking company that brings the machine across the border in bond, and has a local bonded warehouse.
    I pick up the paper work from them and clear my own customs at the local CBSA office.
    You should have one in Ottawa?
    The alternative is to pick it up on the US side and clear when you come across with it.
    If you bring it in using a broker then it will cost you $$ brokerage fee.
    If you want to clear your own there is a B3 form on the CBSA web site and the 9 digit tariff numbers for the product you can look up.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thank you Al, much appreciated.

I live in Alberta, and was able to purchase a G0704 from Grizzly, including shipping, for less money than the equivalent from Busy Bee Tools. Grizzly ships via UPS freight, and deduct what the clearing charges will be from the total price. It worked out as expected, and all I had to pay was GST, and the expected clearing charges when it got to me.
    Michael Anton
    http://manton.wikidot.com - http://laserlight.wikidot.com

Thanks Michael...

For the bigger RF-45 type machines, Machine Tools Warehouse (somewhere in Ontario, Toronto maybe?) has great service is their prices are pretty competitive with the US stuff

Thanks TS...

Goose,

For a local dealer of machines there is Marks Machinery who carry the King brand, and General brand Welcome to Mark's Machinery. I have never dealt with them but others I know have and have been pleased with the service (I personally find the prices too high to stomach)

I bought from MTW https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.co...log/index.html for a larger benchtop machine and did the cnc conversion myself.

Grizzly offers shipping to Canada now and have a special where they will effectively pay the brokerage fee.

For ready to go machines there are not many in the small size and if $2500 is your budget for a complete CNC machine you're limited to the smallest machines like the Taig and Sherline.

Mike

Thanks a lot Mike.

Even though the Sherline solution seems to best fit my needs, I have spent quite some researching the option of buying a local manual mill and converting it to CNC operation.

Buying locally has benefits as in stock, no additional shipping, local support etc.

What model did you convert and what steppers/controller/hardware did you choose?

Cheers

Goose

I converted a MD-001. Its the long travel version of the RF-45 machines (Industrial Hobbies type machine).

I used servo drives from cncdrive.com (now sold by cncforpc.com) and servos from Keling.net (now Automation Technology Inc).

My write up starts here:http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...cnc_build.html

I would definitely do some things different if there is a next time but what I've done works so I'm happy for now. Maybe an upgrade is in my future (time and money permitting)

Mike

Thanks again Mike...

Here is the link to my build of the MTW mill.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...rehouse_-.html
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com

Quote Originally Posted by manton View Post
    I live in Alberta, and was able to purchase a G0704 from Grizzly, including shipping, for less money than the equivalent from Busy Bee Tools. Grizzly ships via UPS freight, and deduct what the clearing charges will be from the total price. It worked out as expected, and all I had to pay was GST, and the expected clearing charges when it got to me.
    Did you not have to pay UPS brokerage fees? I have refused to deal with anyone who ships only by UPS. The last item they tried to deliver was worth $90 and they wanted $47.50 brokerage fee plus import duty (on a duty free item) and GST on everything. I refused the Item and it was sent back (it took UPS a month to return it, it had first arrived here in three days). The manufacture then sent it by USPS which took four days and arrived with stickers from both USPS and Canada Post that packaging was damage when they received it. I photographed the package unopened and notices and emailed the manufacturer, who said to open and photograph the contents. As suspected the item was damaged beyond repair and they had to send me a new unit. So I now refuse to use United Pirate Services.
    Regards,
    Gerald.
    Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Hi Gerald...

It sounds like your experiences with ups is identical to mine and many of my friends, all of which import items from the states on a regular basis.

We all refuse to buy anything from manufacturers for the same reasons which is a pity for them although I do make a point of telling them so they have a choice.

Cheers

Goose

Grizzly seems to have a special deal worked out with UPS Freight for brokerage, so to start with the brokerage charge is really reasonable (it was $25 fee on a $1500 freight order), but you do have to pay GST. Then, they actually credit your order by the amount that the brokerage fee will be, so they end up paying the fee for you.

I'm like you, in that I avoid UPS at all costs because of their exorbitant fees. But as long as you get stuff shipped via freight from Grizzly it works out fine.

I would recommend that if you do order from them, that you ask to have everything in your order shipped via freight. Normally, they just ship the heavy items by freight, and everything else via UPS Standard. UPS Standard has very high brokerage charges.
    Michael Anton

I should also mention that it is worthwhile ordering a catalog from Grizzly, as these usually contain a 5% off coupon. On a big order this can help a bit.
    Michael Anton

I live in Alberta and ordered my g0704 from grizzly. I didn't keep track of the exact total, but I know there were no unpleasant surprises.

Certainly much cheaper than busy bee.

Sherline direct is easy enough that not having a local supplier of replacements probably isnt a deal breaker as it can be shipped to you within a week or two.

2.5k is cutting it tight for a CNC with the controllers and drives, delivered, and new of course. You might be able to just barely squeeze in the budget for a new sherline CNC wth that price. If you go old you can probably go cheaper. Sometimes princess auto sells manual mills. If you are good you can convert those to CNC. Often this requires a mill to begin with if you dont buy an already made retrofit kit. Most drives will be $600 plus before shipping for 3 axis, unless you go cheap there too with the ebay ones, which are close to the price and some report are unreliable.

Thanks for the heads-up on Grizzly.

Sherline have quoted $2400 for the CNC mill with everything except the computer and then I will pay 13% at the border, so yes that does push the budget.

Thanks Bebop

How about Machine Tool Warehouse in Canada, I purchased my mill from them.
    Kelly
    www.finescale360.com