587,517 active members*
3,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > new lathes in but what the heck is this

new lathes in but what the heck is this

I got my new lathe in yesterday . Its a 7x14 real bull lathe . Im getting it cleaned up for use but noticed something odd. There is some sort of black thing on the compund rest that iv never seen before . Its not in the manual nor any pics iv seen online of this lathe . I have no idea what its for . Does anyone know? Pics below

It has a set screw,hole and 3 notches in it . Im guessing for some kind of post or something but have no clue

Also while im making a thread i was wondering if someone can help with this. On the crossslide and compound dials theres a lot of back and forth play . I can turn the dial back a 1/4 turn without it moving the compound . WHen i turn it clockwise theres no play.Only when turning counter clockwise. How do i adjust that ? Thanks

I've never seen that before, I'd email them and ask.

As for slop, oh yeah, lots of backlash out of the box. I would lap your lead screws and gibs, and get it all adjusted correctly.

Maybe if you get the rest of the tool post it may shed light on it?
    It does not appear to be the same as the standard T.P. here?
    7x14 Mini Lathe
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Maybe if you get the rest of the tool post it may shed light on it?
    It does not appear to be the same as the standard T.P. here?
    7x14 Mini Lathe
    Al.
    Everything is the same as the one in the link you posted except for that black piece i dont know whats for . I hope the black thing wont get in the way of the 0XA quick post i have on its way here. Any guesses of what it could be used for or neat things i could use this black piece for? I thoough maybe it was to mount a indicator post or dro or something but idk. I emailed them and havent got a response back yet. How am i the only person on earth that has this thing?

It has to be for some kind of post since it has a locking set screw.

I also have some other questions not related to that. This is my first lathe and i want to make sure i adjust everything the best i can . I dont have access to a mill or anything to mod gibs or anything like that right now.

I have the whole carrige off right now cleaning the packing grease which isnt too bad from other pics iv seen. Are the cap screws on the saddle rail ajustments supposed to be real loose? They arent even screwed in all the way and move up,down,back forth. Should i tighten them up ? I havent moved the lock screws btw.

Also should i put white lithium on the carriage slide gears while im under there? What do i put on the lead screw?

Also i read that i have to oil the ways. I dont have any way oil but wondering if hydrolic oil or air compressor oil would work?

Way oil is the best, Vactra2 etc, failing that I would use a heavy weight engine oil.
    Use it on lead screw.
    Are you looking at the loose carriage lock screws maybe?
    These are only used to lock the carriage in one spot.
    There are not too many others that should be loose.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks guys.I have some way oil on the way but it wont be here for few days.

The loose part im talking about is the cap screws on the saddle adjuster.Parts with 3 cap screws and set screw.Im guessing they should be a little loose because it looks like it sits between the way ends. Im not sure though and how loose?

Part im talking about lubing with white grease is the gears in the upper left corner of the pic.

If it is the carriage locking screws, if you snug them up and the saddle does not traverse, then it is the locking screws and are left loose.
    On the compound adjustment and cross slide, often the nut is a fairly crude split nut which is adjusted by a set screw for minimum B.L. without tightening up too much otherwise it will be difficult to crank.
    Al.

Albert E.

Is that black thing actually screwed down onto the compound or is it just sitting there? it looks to me to be a spacer to mount your toolpost onto the crosslide with the compound removed, for extra rigidity, but I'm just guessing. Also, since you have the apron removed, I made a thin plastic guard and screwed it to the back of the apron to cover up those gears so chips don't get in. I also made a plug to go in the end of the spindle to stop chips from going down the spindle bore and falling into the change gears. I also had to polish out all the change gear bores so they would slide on nicely. All the best with your new lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by basalt View Post
    Is that black thing actually screwed down onto the compound or is it just sitting there? it looks to me to be a spacer to mount your toolpost onto the crosslide with the compound removed, for extra rigidity, but I'm just guessing. Also, since you have the apron removed, I made a thin plastic guard and screwed it to the back of the apron to cover up those gears so chips don't get in. I also made a plug to go in the end of the spindle to stop chips from going down the spindle bore and falling into the change gears. I also had to polish out all the change gear bores so they would slide on nicely. All the best with your new lathe.
    Its tapped into the compound rest with 2 allen bolts and everything. I believe the center hole in that black piece also is slightly bored into the compound rest. I have looked at a ton of lathe pics on google and cant find anything like it. Im surprised this being a popular lathe nobody has mentioned this before. I doubt mine is the only one. Makes no sense they would do that by mistake.

OMG i just found out what it is . Found another pic with it and it is the mounting plate for the clear tool holder safety window. Oh well i will never use that .Dumbest idea ever. I wish they didnt put a damn hole in my compound rest for it.

I never tried to mount the window and was wondering where the cover went to since its not shown in the manual . I guess now i know where the cover goes to.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMCNC.COM View Post
    I've never seen that before, I'd email them and ask.

As for slop, oh yeah, lots of backlash out of the box. I would lap your lead screws and gibs, and get it all adjusted correctly.
    Does someone have a link that explains how to do these things? I've had my mini lathe since june and have used it a lot but havent adjusted anything and dont know how

Craig

I believe there is other forums... Mini lathe .com, YouTube, and over all general knowledge of how everything works together, don't worry I now have over 40 hours in my 7x16 lathe, adjusting, moding, polishing, replacing, etc... You learn a lot and realize that most things have slop for a reason and that is adjustment, but there are tricks to adjustments and it isn't straight forward, certain things have to be adjusted first, they also have to be in certain positions when adjusting, over all its a pain but it Does pay off in "perfect" finishes.

This is what I did-- re the gibs, those 3 allen head cap screws (AHCS) and the 2 nuts in between, these are called gibs and they are a cheap and easy way to take up slack, they exist on the carriage (apron) which is what your pic is showing and also on the crosslide and the compound, the nuts/screws adjust the up and down, trying to get snug without any play but still moving freely. Imagine if you will, putting the 2 screws, locked down with the nuts, into a nice position then tightening up the AHCS, the piece of flat bar (Gib) will bend, especially if you tighten it too tight. You have to be gentle with this stuff, not too tight. A better way is to use shims (underneath support), I wish I knew how to send you a picture of what I am describing but I ain't too swift on computers lol Basically, picture this----if you pinch something and it is supported underneath, no distortion. However, if you clamp something and the clamp is anywhere but under the clamping pressure it will bend, basic principle of clamping----support it underneath the clamp! Most machines that are any good have a tapered gib, but don't let that discourage you, we work with what we have. Myself, I am not as much concerned with getting the machine perfect as I am with living with it and working around it. I wish you all the best and please don't forget, we all share and there are no stupid questions. BTW if you can tell me how to put up a .jpg pic on this site please let me know. All the best.

Heres some really good tutorials im following right now actually

Mini Lathe Tuning
    Adjusting compound gibs,crossslide ect

Lapping with Wet/Dry Sandpaper
    Lapping the gibs- Iv read a few and some were just really involved where this ones super simple

So far i removed the carriage by removing the set screw on the ways ,then remove the main leadscrew bracket(2 bolts and unscrew the leadscrew adjuster so bracket can come off. Then wheel your carriage off the back .pull when it gets past the leadscrew. I then adjusted the main carriage gibs . I followed the directions and got it to a .030 gap .The screws are loose which gives the gap.Gap is needed to fit into the ways. Once its on the ways its no longer loose. I then found my own way to true it up even more precise . If you get it close and get the carriage back started on the ways you can take a allen key and reach up under the apron and just tighten it ever so slightly until its smooth with no play. I got it to where i dont think it even has .01 play in it and still move nice and smooth. SWEET!Be careful not to make it too tight though because i can see how trying to crank it while too tight could snap the gibs.

Im doing the compound right now. I didnt have any play in the compound out of the box pretty much at all however i do have play in the compound dial itself. I can turn it and it has no play but if i back the dial off just slightly it will hit a loose spot and not turn the compound for like .05 .Turning the dial foward it doesn't happen though. Same issue with the crossslide dial. Im about to try lapping it . Got plenty of wetsand paper and metal polish already. Im not sure if i should adjust the gibs considering theres no play at all already tryiing to rock it back and forth.Its solid and moves smoothly. Same with the crossslide .

Will lapping fix the dial slop even though theres no slop in the actual compound and crossslide when rocking it back and forth ?

I also removed all the thread gears and cleaned up then put some white lithium grease. I also put white lithium on the apron gears even though i know i didnt have too i felt it would make it even queter then it is already and i made sure it wouldnt touch the lead screw or ways.

I still need to get my way oil in . FOr right now i used a combo of heavy weight synthetic motor oil and hydrolioc oil. I just did a light coat til my way comes in.

So far i havent used my lathe yet but i wanted to make sure everythings in tip top shape.