587,765 active members*
3,788 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

4 axis Featurecam

Hi,

I am trying to make a part using Featurecam, but it gives some crazy results. I tried to upload pictures of this, but apparently I am only allowed 1kb of total images... which is just ridiculous...

The part is simple enough, it is a disc with slots on the outside edge. The problem seems to be that Featurecam wants to keep the tool above the centreline of the workpiece. The centre line of the tool is always normal to the radius, if I said that right. The x axis is along the centre of the disc/cylinder, the y axis would take it off centre.

If it moved off centre it would be extremely easy to make these slots. In effect the machine is only running in 3 axes! X, Z & C. I assume this is due to settings somewhere.

The camware just makes some really crazy code, leaving the disc looking like it was attacked by axe wielding mad man. All the axes are good, the part is drawn properly and I have tried it with several simpler versions to try and isolate the problem, with no joy at all. Other 3 axis stuff, the camware is perfect for no problems, and 4 axis jobs where the tool can stay on the centre line are also possible (no matter how crazy it makes me).

Can anyone give any pointers?

You are going to have to give a drawing or something plus what version of featurecam you are using. 4 axis is really good once you get a handle on what it wants, so try to get some more info here.

hve you figured it out?

pm me if you still need help

It's featurecam 2012. I can't upload a drawing,, but even simple things are not possible at the minute. The only features that come out correct are those that lie on the very centre of the product. It absolutely will not move the y=axis.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokio View Post
    It's featurecam 2012. I can't upload a drawing,, but even simple things are not possible at the minute. The only features that come out correct are those that lie on the very centre of the product. It absolutely will not move the y=axis.
    Try Zipping up the FM file, it should upload then.

Images are usually 500Kb file size Resolution 1025 x 1000.

A file would indeed be much more useful

Regards

Every time I try to use 4th axis and set it up manually it goes crazy. Kinda like what your describing. Try using AFR, select only the sides then make sure the tool is on the proper axis and turret. If it is in lower turret or along the z things gets nuts. If you define the floor of the feature it wants to make a pocket, then the params change and you are in a whole new argument.