587,480 active members*
3,339 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Seems to me that the metal-cutting machines they offer all use >500W Nd-YAG lasers, not CO2...
    Regards!

The machines mentioned at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...2mm_metal.html and http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...al_laeser.html appear to be using CO2 lasers. Kern Lasers has 150W machines that can cut through over 2 mm of steel, but they use an RF laser.

Hi Laser Doctor, I have a chinese 80 watt Co2 laser and when cutting it cuts a square edge on one side and a beveled edge on the opposite side. I have adjusted the mirrows and laser tube as per the manual but the problem is still there. Do you or anyone on the forum have a solution to my problem

Did you adjust the last mirror? This will adjust the beam coming out of the nozzle on the laser head. Place some tape on the bottom of your nozzle and press up on it. This will leave a imprint on the tape. Now fire the laser and remove the tape to see if you are in the center.
    TK McKnight
    800 Series 60W from www.legacylasers.com

Thank you Baksiidaa! Looks like with the best optics it is possible to cut sheet-metal with a good 150W CO2 tube.
    Regards!

Thank you laserguy, I have tried what you suggested and it was out of centre. I adjusted the last mirror until it was in the centre of the nozzle but it still cuts the same with straight edge one side when it is cutting "x" negative and "y" positive and a bevel on the opposite sides. Is it possible that the whole final assebly could be out of alignment? Regards axlegards

Quote Originally Posted by axlegards View Post
    Thank you laserguy, I have tried what you suggested and it was out of centre. I adjusted the last mirror until it was in the centre of the nozzle but it still cuts the same with straight edge one side when it is cutting "x" negative and "y" positive and a bevel on the opposite sides. Is it possible that the whole final assebly could be out of alignment? Regards axlegards
    It looks like the optics is not good . Confirm dot are on the center of each reflecting mirror , then ajust the focus lens . Pay attention 3 points . 1. the laser head is vertical ;2. the laser beam in barrel is vertical ;3.the dot at exit of laser head is in the center . After this , put a acylic on table and press laser button for seconds , you will get a laser beam in acrylic , check this beam is vertical or not . You won't get a bevel edge .
    XYZ Mechinery

Thank you for the advise you gave and I have reset all of the mirrors so that the beam is in the centre and checked that the beam is exiting the nozzle in the centre, I also have used some 10mm clear acrylic as you suggested but it is still at an angle to the surface when checked with an engineers square. When I cut thin material it is hardly noticable but it is still producing a bevel edge when I cut 2mm and above, and the angle of the bevel gets greater especially on thicker materials when using multi-cuts. Has anyone else had a similar problem to this and does anyone have any other suggestions please.

Page 2 of 2 12