587,787 active members*
2,262 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Supercamxp

Page 1 of 2 12

Supercamxp

Supercamxp.Anyone use this system?I see there is a taig dealer that sells it with the mills.Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Rob

I used SuperCam (SC) before the xp version. The guy I worked for has the xp now. I am sure he likes it because that is all he has ever used. When I used it all we used it for was to run a plasma. You can draw 2d stuff with SC. When I bought my CNC Taig I thought I wanted SC, but settled for Mach 3 to run my machine. I mainly do 3d milling. What I liked about SC is, if you are nesting lots of parts on a sheet of metal , it was easy to do with Supercam and then cut it. You could also change the cutting order of the parts. Now I think I like the Mach 3 better for 3d stuff, but, I never used SC for 3d.
    They may not be much help, but you didn't say what you want to use it for. What is the main thing you will be cutting?
    David L. Aery
    www.hooksolutions.com

Quote Originally Posted by dlaery View Post
    I used SuperCam (SC) before the xp version. The guy I worked for has the xp now. I am sure he likes it because that is all he has ever used. When I used it all we used it for was to run a plasma. You can draw 2d stuff with SC. When I bought my CNC Taig I thought I wanted SC, but settled for Mach 3 to run my machine. I mainly do 3d milling. What I liked about SC is, if you are nesting lots of parts on a sheet of metal , it was easy to do with Supercam and then cut it. You could also change the cutting order of the parts. Now I think I like the Mach 3 better for 3d stuff, but, I never used SC for 3d.
    They may not be much help, but you didn't say what you want to use it for. What is the main thing you will be cutting?
    Thanks for your input.I don't have a milling machine yet.Don't have any milling experience or experience with cad/cam but am really interested in jumping in as a hobby.I have been looking around cnczone for a while and other forums also to get an idea of what I'm getting my self into.I have no Illusions that cnc milling will be simple and easy.I'm prepared for a learning curve.I originally wanted to get a Tormach 770 but it may make more sense to start with a taig.In a few years if I become proficient and enjoy milling I can upgrade.The taig seems to hold it's value so resale should be decent.Or maybe the taig will be all I need.I'm planning to make small firearms parts for some of the obsolete (no parts available) firearms that I have.who knows what else once I get started.I happened to run across the dealers web site that sells taig and supercamxp and wondered if supercamxp is easier to use than mach3.I recognize that the software side is going to be a challenge as is the milling.I'm looking to make my entry into milling as easy as possible so I'm planning to take the next 4 or 5 months researching,asking lots of questions.I'm starting to get the impression that if supercamxp was so good as advertised on the dealers site I'd hear a lot more about it.Not much info if you do a web search.I'm going to continue to explore it just in case it is one of those unappreciated hidden gems.So if anyone else wants to weigh in with an opinion it would be very appreciated.
    Rob

Remember, the software to run the g-code on the mill, and the design software to help generate the g-code in the first place are two very different things. Especially if you are doing 3D parts.

While things like Mach do have rudimentary tools to help design simple parts, doesn't mean that's what its main focus is meant to be. Its there to run the machine. You are best generating the code elsewhere in dedicated design software, which is an entirely different ball of wax to research.
    I can't help you on that personally, as since I do this as a career I was lucky enough to justify buying a seat of some pretty heavy specialty commercial software. So, I have no experience with the more affordable stuff. There are several forums on here just for discussion of that though. I have seen a lot of mentions of Rhino as a solid option for many here, and its pretty cheap, with additional student discounts too IIRC.

BTW, as much as some people with bigger machines make fun of the Taig and other benchtop units, there are a lot of us out there using them commercially. They are actually quite a good fit for business making things like small camera, jewelry, musical instrument and gun parts, even in a production setting. Quite a few of us out there actually, so don't worry about it being too small. It probably isn't a problem for your uses, and does have certain advantages like spindle speed and the ability to swap different heads a larger machine doesn't.
    Now, if you are running heavier jobs that need a bigger more rigid machine, there is no substitute for mass. But for small, high detail parts, there is often a good business argument for staying small. If they can do the job for little cost and space, the kind of jobs a bigger and costlier machine would fare no better at, why not?

How about some pics of what you make commercially camerguy, got a website? What highend softwares are you using?
    bill

Camera guy
    Thanks for the feedback.Yes I recognize that the control software such as mach3 and supercamxp are different than cad and cam software.I think figuring out which cad and cam to use is going to be the most difficult decision to make.My question about supercamxp is how it compares with mach3.Could it possibly be better in some ways,such as ease of use for a beginner like me.Does it have similar or greater capabilities than mach3?Does it have decent support?
    I have been enjoying going through the various forums on software and machines.Seen some amazing things that people are doing with the taig mills.On my travels through the forums I have seen some of your camera accessories.Very nice work that you are doing.
    Rob

[/B]
    Quote Originally Posted by cameraguy View Post
    Remember, the software to run the g-code on the mill, and the design software to help generate the g-code in the first place are two very different things. Especially if you are doing 3D parts.

While things like Mach do have rudimentary tools to help design simple parts, doesn't mean that's what its main focus is meant to be. Its there to run the machine. You are best generating the code elsewhere in dedicated design software, which is an entirely different ball of wax to research.
    I can't help you on that personally, as since I do this as a career I was lucky enough to justify buying a seat of some pretty heavy specialty commercial software. So, I have no experience with the more affordable stuff. There are several forums on here just for discussion of that though. I have seen a lot of mentions of Rhino as a solid option for many here, and its pretty cheap, with additional student discounts too IIRC.

BTW, as much as some people with bigger machines make fun of the Taig and other benchtop units, there are a lot of us out there using them commercially. They are actually quite a good fit for business making things like small camera, jewelry, musical instrument and gun parts, even in a production setting. Quite a few of us out there actually, so don't worry about it being too small. It probably isn't a problem for your uses, and does have certain advantages like spindle speed and the ability to swap different heads a larger machine doesn't.
    Now, if you are running heavier jobs that need a bigger more rigid machine, there is no substitute for mass. But for small, high detail parts, there is often a good business argument for staying small. If they can do the job for little cost and space, the kind of jobs a bigger and costlier machine would fare no better at, why not?

I have no clue about Supercam, but I have been using LinuxCNC (the old EMC2) recently, and its pretty amazing nowadays. Its come a long way, now very well supported and with a lot of features. The install is now brain dead as well, you can install the stripped down Linux OS and the program together from a live CD in one shot, and they obviously work well together, more stable than trying to lobotomize XP to allow real-time CAM to work. (I use XP for my CAD box, but use an old standalone box dedicated to the CAM.
    Its really good practice to use a separate box anyway no matter what the OS. Way safer and more stable.
    Sorry I can't help with Supercam, have no knowledge of it.

Thanks for the compliment on the camera work, BTW!

Quote Originally Posted by voere View Post
    On my travels through the forums I have seen some of your camera accessories.Very nice work that you are doing.
    Rob

[/B]
    Got any links, Rob?
    Dave->..

My question about supercamxp is how it compares with mach3.Could it possibly be better in some ways,such as ease of use for a beginner like me.Does it have similar or greater capabilities than mach3?
    Once you do the initial setup, and your ready to run parts, I think you'll find that most control programs are very similar.
    Load g-code.
    Set program zero's.
    Run g-code.

Also note that Mach3 can run a machine from a parallel port, while SuperCAM XP uses a hardware motion controller. That's part of the reason it's $325 more than mach3.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    Got any links, Rob?
    +1
    lets see something ehh?

Quote Originally Posted by bjones View Post
    +1
    lets see something ehh?
    What exactly is it you guys are wanting to see, anyway? You can always just ask me, too...

What exactly is it you guys are wanting to see, anyway? You can always just ask me, too...
    You already were asked.

How about some pics of what you make commercially camerguy, got a website? What highend softwares are you using?
    bill

You already were asked.
    Ah. Using mainly Artcam, but use Artcam (Delcam) and Solidworks. Don't have a website, don't make things for retail so I don't really need one.
    Make all kinds of oddball stuff lately, as business isn't the same for anyone, so lately I have been filling up empty time making some gun parts and a few reproduction vintage car parts, stuff like that as well as the normal molds for jewelry and camera stuff.

This week, nothing exciting; molds of several little Native American Petrogyph charms for a Southwest artist studio, and little spacers for the window cranks for MBG and MGB-GT's that are apparently unobtanium as original parts.
    Also asked to do some ring prototypes of designs specific to a particular religion, but I have had to wait for more input from them as I don't exactly know what all means what to them.

Thanks for the pics. maybe voere will come thru with a link.

You know, I am sitting here putting together a Flickr page of random shop pics for curious people and then this. But you aren't curious, are you? You weren't as overtly obnoxious as usual so I missed it at first and thought you were on the level, but then I finally actually looked at your name when making a reply.
    Like we wouldn't remember you? You can delete and/or alter the threads afterwards, but dude, we can remember things longer than a week.

When you show up to troll, Ger drops in, and people get kicked off the site. Oh wait, he's here already. imagine that. Your alt accounts for trolling and insulting people don't help when there is a such a clearly defined pattern to the behavior of you guys. You were just here last week doing it in a different thread. After Artsoft got mentioned by someone again, who like all before them is no longer here it looks like. Funny how that works.

There is a history of an immediate and unwavering 1:1 correlation between a competitor to Artsoft's Mach3 getting mentioned positively (like just I happened to do a few posts back), your showing up to troll that person, Gerry showing up like a bad penny (the Mod that is an employee of Artsoft), people getting banned, and the records being changed or disappearing. You guys really need to lay the hell off or at least be honest about what it is you are here to do.
    I get the fact you censor this place heavily. I get that any questions about your brand of software having problems get erased. I get that you anonymously attack anyone who dares to mention the other guys in any positive light. Last time someone recommended one of your competitors on benchtop mills the thread was locked then killed within minutes, we can imagine by which mod. Funny how he only appears when the magic brand name is spoken.
    I don't know why, but I get it. Just be honest about it already and stop screwing around already.

Ban me or don't, but stop playing these stupid trolling games.

You know, I am sitting here putting together a Flickr page of random shop pics for curious people and then this. But you aren't curious, are you? You weren't as overtly obnoxious as usual so I missed it at first and thought you were on the level, but then I finally actually looked at your name when making a reply.
    Like we wouldn't remember you? You can delete and/or alter the threads afterwards, but dude, we can remember things longer than a week.

When you show up to troll, Ger drops in, and people get kicked off the site. Oh wait, he's here already. imagine that. Your alt accounts for trolling and insulting people don't help when there is a such a clearly defined pattern to the behavior of you guys. You were just here last week doing it in a different thread. After Artsoft got mentioned by someone again, who like all before them is no longer here it looks like. Funny how that works.

There is a history of an immediate and unwavering 1:1 correlation between a competitor to Artsoft's Mach3 getting mentioned positively (like just I happened to do a few posts back), your showing up to troll that person, Gerry showing up like a bad penny (the Mod that is an employee of Artsoft), people getting banned, and the records being changed or disappearing. You guys really need to lay the hell off or at least be honest about what it is you are here to do.
    I get the fact you censor this place heavily. I get that any questions about your brand of software having problems get erased. I get that you anonymously attack anyone who dares to mention the other guys in any positive light. Last time someone recommended one of your competitors on benchtop mills the thread was locked then killed within minutes, we can imagine by which mod. Funny how he only appears when the magic brand name is spoken.
    I don't know why, but I get it. Just be honest about it already and stop screwing around already.

Ban me or don't, but stop playing these stupid trolling games.
    Paranoid much? you have me confused with someone else. sorry to burst your theory but i am in no way affiliated with mach 3 or this site. if you don't want to share pics cause i asked how about for fretsman or is he part of some conspiracy too?

To get back to the original topic, SuperCAM was conceived of by its creator as an alternative to G-code, with the ability to generate simple code in a "conversational" manner. The new XP version will run G-code files generated by CAM programs, however, and is sold with a USB box so computers without parallel ports can be used, similar to the Smoothstepper or Flashcut systems. Here's a link: SuperCamXp Graphical Machine Control Program via USB

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

I don't know why, but I get it.
    Everything you mentioned is 100% false, btw.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Everything you mentioned is 100% false, btw.
    You do only ever seem to show up here when Mach is involved though.

I can't really go back through the logs and count because the last several threads all disappeared, the last one for having two people recommend LinuxCNC actually. Funny how that works.

Seem to remember being banned by you for having a problem with Mach once. Wait; the thread before last one that disappeared had someone else having an issue with them too, didn't they? Haven't seen them around since.
    Did they give up and leave or you ban them too?

You do only ever seem to show up here when Mach is involved though.
    I have 21,000 posts here. I read a large majority of the threads here, and post on far more topics than just mach3.

I can't really go back through the logs and count because the last several threads all disappeared, the last one for having two people recommend LinuxCNC actually. Funny how that works.
    We don't delete threads here unless they are started by spammers.

We do delete posts that violate forum rules.
    Other than spammers, maybe 5 people a year get banned from here. You're in a select group. Congratulations.
    Please let this thread get back on topic, after you derailed it with your false accusations.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Page 1 of 2 12