587,756 active members*
4,752 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alibre Express DXF Import

Hi,

I have been using Alibre Express for some time and enjoy the program for 3D design. For 2D I have been using Draftsight and find this a really good program that is very intuitive.

I now want to extrude a 2D for into 3D but my Alibre Express DWG/DXF import give the following error on all forms and attempts of import.

"An unexpected error has occurred. Attempt to access index..0: Valid range is -1"

Description of error is as follows:

"java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Attempt to access index 0; valid range is 0..-1
    at com.objectspace.jgl.Array.checkIndex(Int32 i, Int32 size)
    at com.objectspace.jgl.Array.at(Int32 index)
    at com.alibre.engineering.app.ImportFileHelper.import File(StandardBrowser browser, Out out, String[] warningMessage, IBusyBodyContextObject busyBodyKey)
    at com.alibre.engineering.app.ImportFileHelper.import File(StandardBrowser browser, Out out, String[] warningMessage)
    at com.alibre.design.app.ImportFileCommand.execute()"

Has anyone any possible solution for this problem. I have tried a number of web searches but to no avail. It is very time waisting to have to redraw each 2D form into Alibre to be able to convert into 3D form.

Simple solution would be to start with Alibre to draw your 2D stuff.

In my experience of export/import of DXF/DWG files, not all are of the proper format, IE: versions of DXF/DWG.

Perhaps the Java library on your computer needs updating?

Just my quarter's worth of an idea.

Alibre Express DXF Import

Thanks for the fast response. I will update the Java on my machine but drawing the 2D forms in Alibre is just not an option. If you have ever used Draftsight you would know how fast and efficient it is. Furthermore I use the files from Draftsight to generate all gcode.

Hope the Kava update solves the problem.

I have now upgraded my Java, but unfortunately the problem remains the exactly same.

Export your .dxf files using the oldest dxf format that you can. V12 usually works the best.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have methodically tried all formats of both DWG and DXF available in Draftsight. The error remains the same for all. For a long time I have believed that because the Alibre Express was free that the import has been disabled. I would like to know for certain before I give up trying.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Post one of your DXF files and we can verify it Alibre is able to import the file.

Sounds like corruption IMO.

I seem to recall when using Alibre Express that you could only import .dxf;s into a drawing, and then had to copy and paste them into a sketch? But it's been a few years.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Osphoto,

Herewith a DXF R12 version and the standard DWG file

Thanks for the assistance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Gerry,

I have tried to Import into an existing Alibre drawing but to no avail. Copy from the Draftsight drawing does not work either. Could you try to be a little more specific.

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Les Bidgood View Post
    Hi Osphoto,

Herewith a DXF R12 version and the standard DWG file

Thanks for the assistance.
    The DXF imported just fine as a drawing into my copy of Alibre Expert 2012. I exported it as an Alibre 2012 drawing and am (hopefully) attaching that here in the hope that it will be of some use.

Perhaps you need a more advanced version of Alibre than the one you have in order to import such files. They used to sell a "Translate" add-on at one time that might also add the same functionality.

Mike

Hi MichaelHenry,

Thanks for confirming the file. My version of Alibre will once again not allow the import of your file.

I am a pensioner and thus have limited budget. As you probably noticed I am designing a 3D printer that I intend placing a build log on the internet. Draftsight will be the main CAD package used. I have a number of 3D examples to test how the unit will be put together. Also exporting from Alibre to a stl file allows an interested party to view the file in Meshlab with the ability to rotate the drawing any way they may like. The website is still a number of months away.

Thanks to all for the assistance so far.

try to remove text, or replace with autocad fonts.. they have shx extension..
    true type fonts are not implemented into dxf.. draftsigth can handle it,but it doesnt mean it would be proper dxf..

in autocad 2000 version was the express group.. a lotofsmall loisp and arx.. there was the txtplode what converted 3dfaces the true type fonts..

best bet, download the free dwg viewer fromautodesk.. you migth can convert to a working dxf..

Hi Victor,

Thanks. The problem stay consistent. I deleted all text and the sections in red. The white is the form that I really need to import. The remainder is to show the position of the various components that complete the design.

I guess I will have to draw all component twice. Once in Draftsight and once in Alibre

Thanks for the help

alibre looking very promising program and its price also very userfriendly..
    the cam is from mecsoft and really nice..
    i cant imagine why actually dxfdoesnt worked..
    i just was remembering the ttffont always made mess in autocad.. migthbe it was true only for older versions...

luckily draswing isnot to large.. .. you can try one more thing.. i dont know if it i helps..

accutrans has a very good interpreter for dxf.. try to open with accutrans make some minor modification, example rename alayer and save backin dxf format..
    migthbe acutrans overwrite something and it works..

i tryit rigth now....

Need Help!- Alibre Express DXF Import

Hi,

Thanks for the help so far. I have accepted that I will just have to redraw everything in Alibre to get the 3D illustrations that I want.

I like the Alibre program, albeit that Draftsight is far easier and quicker to use.

I have uploaded a stl file to give you some idea of what I'm trying to achieve.

Apologies, I did not see that stl files are not on the approved file list so have had to zip the file.