587,331 active members*
3,120 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: How many hours wasted in your worst mistake?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-1

5 5.26%
  • 1-3

9 9.47%
  • 3-6

11 11.58%
  • More than 6

70 73.68%

Hybrid View

Are you talking hobby projects just done for fun or real projects with a marketable product in mind? In the case of fun-type projects I have often spent many tens of hours before I realised they wouldn't work. Marketable products are a totally different ball of wax, my most expensive was about $500k and five years of work before throwing in the towel.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Gods, I've got at least half a dozen guitars that were 99+% of the way there, and were for some reason unworkable. Some times, the best thing to do is just cut them in half, and start over, but man that sucks when you've got a $300 piece of figured maple for the top!!! (Not to mention all the time spent on the bloody things!)

Gabriel

Geof,

Thanks for making me feel so much better today!

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Marketable products are a totally different ball of wax, my most expensive was about $500k and five years of work before throwing in the towel.
    i worked on a film where my friend spent $350k to have it go nowhere. then he spent $250k on a music video for his wife which was a write off after she divorced him. :/

not cnc of course although cnc'd things were made for both.

ive never made a machining goof worth more than a few hundred bucks. ive definitely gone and made several prototypes of things to then decide the design was crap somehow.

Gah!!!!!!
    Was just carving out of a board I'd spent ages painting (days to get it done in between the rain!) and half way through lost some steps on the Y axis (about 5cm worth, I think the computer is ****) and that ruined the whole job.
    The actual cutting time is less than 30 mins, but the painting :drowning:

Distraction Screw ups.

How on earth do you guys prevent people from bugging you with inane **** while programming or doing some other complicated op.??

Seems like every time I have a crash (2 in the last year, nothing more than 80.00 e.m. Knock wood x3) there is somebody behind me with a irrelevant comment or question.

Personally if I need to interrupt another operator I stand where they can see me and wait till they acknowledge me, then ask if they can talk for a minute.

Kinda like no one talks to the guy operating the lift at mine, a cardinal offense, firing on the spot I believe.

To Busy Not Checking

Spent the last couple of days Programming and machining 3 Ops, Went in to QA, First Artical, inspecter Said, "Good to go", But you made it wrong Issue,
    i didnt check customer solid Issue to order. Felt a right T**T,

Not only you mate! We all do it some time or another!