587,396 active members*
3,756 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Collar position for mech torch mount

Hello,

I had a comment on one of my videos about the position I've used for mounting my retaining collars to my PM45 T45m torch. Here's the link to a video where you can see the mount.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zrkZ1U3BC8]First run on my plasma table - YouTube[/ame]

I built a magnetic torch mounting plate that uses two steel collars to hold the mech torch:

The top steel collar mounts to the "brass strain relief" at the top of the torch.

The lower steel collar mounts to the "retaining cap" and overlaps the #220673 shield.

The person stated that I would have shorting and other electrical issues and that the high voltage would degrade the composite 220713 retaining cap.

I only have several hours of test cutting and tuning on my table so far but I haven't had any troubles other than difficulty setting up my dthc... I don't know if the dthc is my problem or if the voltage reading on my Candcnc DRO is skewed because of the torch being grounded, if it is... I'm attaching my work clamp to the sheet stock that is getting cut. Although it isn't attached in the video. Duhh.

I attached the lower collar/clamp to the retaining cap/shield with an overlap between the two for better structural support in case the torch accidentally hooked something while in motion. I set the upper clamp on the brass strain relief for the same reason.

Should I move both clamps onto the composite positioning sleeve??

Thanks, Jim

It is recommended that the torch is mounted at the white colored mounting sleeve.

Mounting from the retaining cap will create at least two issues that will contribute to component failure, as well as torch damage/failure:
    The retaining cap is designed to direct gas flow to the shield and the nozzle on the torch...as well as to hold the consumables in place with excellent concentricity. Lastly, it acts as an insulator to keep stray voltage from the nozzle from shorting to your machine frame.

-Mechanical stress on the retaining cap will eventually cause stress cracks in the internal brass, copper and composite internal components on the torch body....ultimately resulting in early failure.
    -The composite insulating material on a new retaining cap will likely not cause any electrical arcing, however after some normal metalic dust buildup on the retaining cap...a path to the metalic clamp will cause carbon tracking...and damage to the retaining cap. This damage will be in the form of distortion of the critical inner air flow passages...which will affect cut quality. It can also cause shorting of the internal dialectric which will cause the torch to misfire. Further...this arcing could create electrical noise interference in the electronics and computer of your machine. If you still insist on this method of mounting....the clamp assebly should be made from a non conductive material...and or the retaining cap should be wiped clean very often.

While it may not affect your operation while everything is clean and new....I have seen this type of mounting cause the above issues in many field applications. Again....it is suggested that the torch is mounted as designed...using the mounting sleeve.

Attached pictures show typical acceptable torch mounting.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
    Hello,

I had a comment on one of my videos about the position I've used for mounting my retaining collars to my PM45 T45m torch. Here's the link to a video where you can see the mount.

First run on my plasma table - YouTube

I built a magnetic torch mounting plate that uses two steel collars to hold the mech torch:

The top steel collar mounts to the "brass strain relief" at the top of the torch.

The lower steel collar mounts to the "retaining cap" and overlaps the #220673 shield.

The person stated that I would have shorting and other electrical issues and that the high voltage would degrade the composite 220713 retaining cap.

I only have several hours of test cutting and tuning on my table so far but I haven't had any troubles other than difficulty setting up my dthc... I don't know if the dthc is my problem or if the voltage reading on my Candcnc DRO is skewed because of the torch being grounded, if it is... I'm attaching my work clamp to the sheet stock that is getting cut. Although it isn't attached in the video. Duhh.

I attached the lower collar/clamp to the retaining cap/shield with an overlap between the two for better structural support in case the torch accidentally hooked something while in motion. I set the upper clamp on the brass strain relief for the same reason.

Should I move both clamps onto the composite positioning sleeve??

Thanks, Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2082.JPG   PlasmaCambuild 017.jpg   snap-mounted-2.jpg