587,108 active members*
3,408 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Need a Bandit guru badly & transformer advice

Need a Bandit guru badly & transformer advice

So I have a bandit I have been trying to work on it for quite some time with no forward progress. It sort of powers on. I took the cover off the top and depressed a switch next to the 115/230 selector switch. It appears to be a breaker of some sort. I have a red Reload light come on and a red Reset light also that is in the front of the panel. Inside the control there are 2 cards that have led's one card has 6 led's and that has the 3 XYZ led's lit up under the word Null. The other card has a single red led that is lit up that I haven't determined what it is yet.

I have tested the power supply and I believe that is the culprit. There is power coming out of 4 of the 6 leads on the transformer. I'll have to verify what letters and the Volts coming out of them. I can't remember off the top of my head.

So anyhow I found a power supply for a bandit on ebay. It's kinda pricey and I was wondering could I just replace my transformer and get it to work? If I choose to buy the one on ebay are they interchangeable? It looks like an older version of the power supply I currently have. My transformer is a Power One with 4 wires going in and 6 coming out. I believe the ones going out are A AT A B BT B the wires going in are 1 2 3 4. I really need some guidance here as I have no knowledge of what transformer to buy to replace it. I understand a little bit there is a chart on the back of it that tells me the way it's wired and what Volts and Amps it will output based on the different configuration. Any help, insight, or info would be greatly appreciated.

You don't have a lot of info here.

One thing the Bandits where noted for was the push buttons going bad on the front panel. It has been far to long, but the push button in the upper left corner would put a Bandit into a strange state where nothing happened.

Frankly the Bandit as a controller is so old I'd have to wonder if it is worth the effort at all.

I have to agree...
    The machine I retrofitted was an old Bandit control, with a problem that I found out was pretty common, and typically was about $250 to fix. Decided to retrofit once and in the process eliminate the regular repair and have a modern control and software.

Happened to go with an AHHA, which I don't regret even if they did go out of business.... there's still a healthy support group on Yahoo. There's plenty of options to replace the Bandit for a pretty reasonable cost.

Well that's exactly what I plan on doing and I have already purchased a KFlop W/ Kanalog but I'm not getting any power anywhere and frankly I'm stumped. Would u gentleman be willing to help a greenhorn out?

I do have power to the QuickDraw tool changer. It is equipped with NC400 servo controllers. I am using the old servo motors.

If you posted your location someone local might be able to swing by with a dmm or scope and help you sort out your problem. I know that internet-crowdsourcing troubleshooting is likely to get you anecdotal and irrelevant responses whereas many members could give you concrete diagnosis by physically looking at/probing your machine. Good luck.

Located in Santa Fe Springs Ca

So basically I talked to the last guy who worked on it. He told me that when he checked it out the motors ran away and so he pulled them off. He told me the power on procedure. I did it but still no display out of the bandit and no motors running away. However I turned on the spindle and I heard the motor starter engage but since I have no control over the bandit I could not input M03Svalue.

If you're interested, I know a guy who is parting one out, and he still has the transformer and power supply stuff.

I think that I need the NC400 power supply instead still not sure of which direction I'm gonna go. I am interested in the power supply for the bandit tho lmk how much he wants for it.

PROGRESS!!!

So I talked to him again today on the phone and alot of progress was made today. I'm overjoyed! He talked me through a ton of stuff and I was able to actually see the display light up! Tested quite a bit as well and tomorrow I will be putting a new power supply in. So excited:banana:....

So I found the short and pulled the wire now my power supply is getting 24V to the bandit and it powers up. Now my issue is that the servo motors are running away. They are not hooked up to the ball screws so I wouldn't crash. I was told it has something to do with the NC400. Any thoughts? I already checked the fuses on that panel are at least the 5 I could see and they are all good.

I still have no idea where that wire goes but I'll have to chase it down tomorrow.

http://www.contraves-drives.com/pdf/M502001_d.pdf

So I found the answer but I don't know what it means.
    Page 7-2 #4 Wherre it says: A runaway condition is cause for close scruting of polarities.

I was wondering... If I only need the NC400 amps for 100VDC for the servos could I just bypass the rest? It seems that my runaway problem is due to the 15Vdc + and 15Vdc-

for runaway situations you will need to verify command voltage, encoder feedback, and tach feedback. if -all- axes are running away then yes you could be experiencing a power supply problem.

basically if they are all running away then your control system is failing to close the position loop

some troubleshooting procedures:

first remove the analog command input to your drives.

then with the control powered on verify encoder feedback by watching display and rotating encoder.

then find your following error display and verify 0vdc on your analog command output when following error is zero.

other than that, runaway situations are fairly complex, and the root cause can be much better identified if you can describe when the problem first occurred, and at what stage of operation.

if you google or wiki terms like position loops, motion control, closed loop, pid, and the like, you will find some very helpful information

wells index 700 bandit help

I just purchased a wells index model 700 with a wells version bandit control. I got it cheap with a pre-existing problem. The problem is I don't know what that problem is. The machine is like new and has all the bells and whistels like a quickdraw tool changer, and automatic drawbar. I just wired it up and I am starting to diagnose. The drives come on, and the control comand line has a lit "0" in it but the keyboard seems unresponsive. All the manual functions like the spindle start and the ATC all work fine. Machine will not jog, or accept anything I type. Am I missing something simple. The books I have don't say much.

Actually you could be missing something very simple. I was at it for weeks b4 I got ahold of some1. What I was told is that the bandit will not power on unless it has 220v and the 110 active so on mine I had to flip the main power turn on the on off switch on the power knee feed and then turn on the control. Hope this helps.

wells index bandit 700

Thanks for the info. I will keep messing with it. I do know a couple machine maintenance guys that owe me a favor. Trying to find a wiring diagram before I give them a call but having trouble locating one so far.