587,744 active members*
2,833 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > HAAS VF-1 Communication glitch

HAAS VF-1 Communication glitch

I have an older VF-1 and have been loading/ unloading programs with it just fine for some time. Today when i tried to send a new program into the control it is placing a 0 (zero) between the O and the first number of my program name causing it to alarm out.

for example I send O3732 and the program list shows it as O3732 but in the memory its shown as O03732. I tried changing the number altogether, no luck. I tried omitting the first 3 ( O732 ) and it gets changed to O00732.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

Not sure what year your machine is, or what software version, but every Haas I have seen except for one used a 5 number program name. O12345 not O1234. So if you send O1234 to memory will read O01234.

What alarm are you getting?

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Older machines did use a four digit progam number, but the way you describe the problem it sounds like something wrong in your post or communications software.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Older machines did use a four digit progam number, but the way you describe the problem it sounds like something wrong in your post or communications software.
    Yes, that's why I'm asking for the alarm number.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I have been using only four digit numbers so far so i don't think thats an issue.. let me go check the alarm number

message page says

248 - "number out of range"

Quote Originally Posted by thesePAPERwalls View Post
    I have been using only four digit numbers so far so i don't think thats an issue.. let me go check the alarm number
    also all of the other existing programming using only four digit names. Is there a setting that will effect this behavior? :withstupi

Quote Originally Posted by thesePAPERwalls View Post
    for example I send O3732 and the program list shows it as O3732 but in the memory its shown as O03732. I tried changing the number altogether, no luck. I tried omitting the first 3 ( O732 ) and it gets changed to O00732.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?
    What are you opening the program with when you see the extra leading zero? What program are you using to take out the leading zero?

Again, it does not sound like an issue with the machine, rather a problem with whatever is generating the program. If the machine has a floppy drive you can test it by loading the program onto the disk, use notepad to make sure the program number is 4 digits and then load into the machine. If it loads fine then the problem is not the machine.

First, does the program run? Are there any lines in the program that have been put in ()'s by the machine? It seems like I have seen this as a number error inside the program before

Mike

verdict

so as it turns out, I can still execute the program... i guess thats what the reset button is for? at any rate i was able to machine the part with no problem after that. thank you for your time and responses cheers mates :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    What are you opening the program with when you see the extra leading zero? What program are you using to take out the leading zero?

Again, it does not sound like an issue with the machine, rather a problem with whatever is generating the program. If the machine has a floppy drive you can test it by loading the program onto the disk, use notepad to make sure the program number is 4 digits and then load into the machine. If it loads fine then the problem is not the machine.
    I use the CNCGCoder (cncgcoder.com) to communicate with the machine and i do all my programmin by hand ( iso/eia ) so that was the first place i looked for errors. there are the necessary preceeding and proceeding percent signs. I was not taking out or adding the leading zero its was only showing it in memory mode ... meaning the list display

O3730
    O3731
    O3732 <---

Then in memory is shows up as
    O03732

and the 248 alarm is displayed... after resetting the control i was able to run the program just fine.. thanks again for all your help!