587,086 active members*
2,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Re-wiring stepper motors?

Hi,

I am currently using DB9 connectors and plastic housings to connect my stepper motors to some high quality stepper serial cables and then into my gecko g540. The problem is that these connectors are binding up my igus cable chain because when connected the entire thing comes out to be 3-4" long and it just doesnt allow the cable chain to bend causing it to snap apart. So what I was thinking about doing was just cutting off the end of my serial cable and wiring it directly to the stepper. My question is has anyone actually opened a stepper and rewired the control wires to it? I have about 12" of wire coming off the steppers now but Id like to avoid having to wire my cables to this wire and give the whole motor a much cleaner look. I am kind of wondering if taking apart my steppers and doing this is worth it/feasible? Thanks!

I haven't tried it, and I would probably not try it with my own stepper motors. But maybe someone else here has and can advise you.

I would expect you to run into some practical difficulties (for example, you will probably not want to connect the motor end of the cable shield to the motor, so you will have to somehow cut it off and/or insulate it at or outside of the motor housing. Also, I'm not sure how much room would be available for making connections. And you would not want to disassemble and remove the rotor.).

Rather, I recall seeing a product (but I can't seem to find a link to it, maybe somebody else knows what I'm talking about) that was sort of an add-on enclosure that bolts to the rear of the stepper motor and allows you to make a neater-looking wiring connection.

I rewired a couple of unipolar motors to bipolar. Opening them is no problem, but don't pull the rotor out or it might become demagnetized.

In your case, make sure the connector can handle the motor current.

I did a google image search earlier (cant find the pic now) but I located a product that looked like what you are talking about. It was basically an endcap that you screwed the original wires into and then you could wire into that. Ideally this is something I wanted. I imagined some how connecting a db9 connector to the stepper itself that way I could just screw my serial cables into it. If anyone knows what this item is called or made by please share.

Thanks for the help. I think I might attempting to wire the cables directly to the motors tonight without modifying the motor.

I have two motors nema 34, Manufacturer: Sanyo Denki - type 1038145242.
    I would like to get their technical characteristics, because I did not find the manufacturer's website.
    thank you in advance