587,375 active members*
3,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Dust collector for use on plastic chips???

Dust collector for use on plastic chips???

Can anyone advise if a wood only dust collector with 1600cfm would be able to used for collecting plastic chips from my router table? I have seen one that does both wood and steel but it was $750 and a wood only was $299
    I am machining on occassions perspex and other plastics. Not sure if it will work. I have noticed the plastic chips dont get hot which if they did they might stick within hose. Anyone used one with plastic materials? Your help in making descision will be much appreciated.

I used a cyclone type dust collector and no plastic makes it's way into my shopvac.

wood only dust collector that does 1600cfm for $299?
    sounds tempting...

have a link?

is this a bag style filter?
    my first..."Big Ape" CNCRP 2448 Build Log

If you are going to use a shop vac. I would get one of the small cyclone (5 gal bucket) kits that go in front of it. They really work!!! You will not loose suction as the shop vac. gets used.
    The one I use is the "DustDeputy" from Oneida, I used to have to clean the shop vac. two or three times a year, cannot remember when I cleaned it since adding the cyclone.

I would prefer a 3 outlet vac which i can have both connected to my mill, router, and a floor waste outlet. The dust collector is from a local store in Australia which is rated at 2hp 1600cfm.
    Goal is to attach 1 outlet to kent dust shoe to my router which will be doing the plastic machining. Second outlet will go to my mill with a reducer to a 2" hose. Third outlet will be used with a floor dust collector.
    All outlets will have shut off gates to maintain suction on the used outlet.
    I know they work good for wood dust collection but not sure how a 1600cfm would go when machining plastic.