587,822 active members*
3,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Clueless New Guy

Hey all, new here and new to cnc. I want to get a mill to make custom gun parts. Eventually get into the market and sell said parts (all legal with batfe licenses). I'm wondering if the Taig is up to the task. The largest part I can forsee milling would be hogging out the center of a piece of 2"x4"x20" aluminum bar stock. Kind of like a trough. I know, doesnt sound like much of a gun part. Anyways, could the Taig's y axis move 10" in each direction? Could it handle hogging out that much material, say...maybe, once a day and last? Thanks in advance.:wave:

The Taig 2019 mill has 12" of travel in X and 5.5" of travel in Y. You can add a 1" spacer to the Y axis and behind the spindle to get 6.5" of Y travel but that is the practical limit.

Just to be clear the 'X' axis is the one that runs side-to-side, the 'Y' axis runs front to rear and 'Z' is up/down.

With the proper fixturing you can do longer pieces by milling them in sections, i.e. mill half, flip it around mill the other half. This practice is common on all size of mills as no matter how big your mill is you always want to mill something larger.
    Jeff Birt