587,466 active members*
3,294 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Solidcam tutorial for Newbie

Hi guys,
    I am a newbie in Solidcam , right now I am able to design my requirements in Solidworks.But I would like to go one step further and generate codes for what I am designing.Would be of great help If anyone could suggest how to start with Solidcam.

regards,
    Rachan

Jump right in and start making parts.
    The only way to get good at somthing is to just start doing it.

I know to make parts , I am having problems with Solidcam for generating the codes.Any guide on that?

Do you have a machining backround?
    Have you applied tool paths to your parts?

Soildcam won't do everything for you (like 99.99% of cam systems). That is why manfactures hire CNC machinist. You are still going to have to know when a part need to be drilled, faced, profile, pocket, ect and what it takes to create part features (Tap hole, Ream Hole, C-bore, ect.).

If you right click on the operations tab (or any operation) on the cam tree, you should get a sub menue that has your simulate, calculate, Copy/paste funtons ect. There should be one listed Gcode. Use that. Also, when you are editing an operation, on the bottom of the window there should be a Gcode button. that will generate the Gcode for that operation.

glovebox20

You can also look at the tutorial recordings at the following link on the SolidCAM website.
    Jumpstart Introduction - SolidCAM CAM software

I have a question too about using the video professor tutorial. I'm doing the first lesson and after I set my coordinate system levels I click on the green check box and the next window that pops up, Coordsys Manager, is supposed to have a little sub window that shows options to check (MAC 1, 1 Position). Mine doesn't for some reason. There's just a little thin rectangular "squashed" window or bar shape that doesn't let you click in it.

There's also a little "1-1" on the coordinate system graphic that flashes a bunch of times before it goes away.

I've tried numerous times to get these options to show up and it always comes up the same way with the squashed window looking deal.

Once I close the main Coordsys Manager box when I go to open it back up to edit the coordinate system it won't let me.

A similar thing happens when I try to define the target. Once I click on the 3d model it's supposed to have a box that shows an option of "Solid 1" but it doesn't- it just has another squashed box that I can't click on.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

And lastly... even though I'm using the Simple Cover part from the tutorial it seems stuck in English units and the tables don't match the tutorial and I can't seem to get it to switch to metric units no matter what I do. Including changing the assembly and both parts all to metric units.

SW2011 with SolidCAM 2008.

Thanks.

Smile

Hi, I am a newbie when it comes to applying toolpaths, But I am able to design the parts and features I need in Solidworks.Right now I am designing parts in Solidworks and writing codes on my own using my geometric and programming knowledge.

For example : I require to mill/drill some holes in my job.I design that in solidworks.but I don't know where to start off in Solidcam to generate the code for that.Are there any tutorials which teach this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by glovebox20 View Post
    Do you have a machining backround?
    Have you applied tool paths to your parts?

Soildcam won't do everything for you (like 99.99% of cam systems). That is why manfactures hire CNC machinist. You are still going to have to know when a part need to be drilled, faced, profile, pocket, ect and what it takes to create part features (Tap hole, Ream Hole, C-bore, ect.).

If you right click on the operations tab (or any operation) on the cam tree, you should get a sub menue that has your simulate, calculate, Copy/paste funtons ect. There should be one listed Gcode. Use that. Also, when you are editing an operation, on the bottom of the window there should be a Gcode button. that will generate the Gcode for that operation.

glovebox20

The last sentence that you said is what I was thinking all along. SolidWorks 2011 with SolidCAM 2008.

Solidcam 2008 works with SolidWorks 2008, 2009 and 2010. There are definite issues with more than 3 years difference. You should contact your local reseller to update your SolidCAM version. By the way, SolidCAM 2011 includes the new revolutionary iMachining. You can check this out by downloading the demo version of SolidCAM 2011.

Is imachining included in all versions of Solidcam 2011? I have 2011 and as far as I can tell, imachining isn't included in my version.
    www.wilkins-knives.com

iMachining is available from SolidCAM 2011. check with your local SolidCAM rep or reseler to see if you are eligible to receive it.

Thanks, I just called my reseller and I have 2.5D milling and HSS. Imachining is a separate modull I would need to pay extra to have activated. I'm waiting to hear what that would cost! imachining does look very interesting.
    www.wilkins-knives.com

I can honestly say that iMachining is definitely worth it. I have demonstrated iMachining live at customer sites and not one was disappointed. They on the spot saw how much time it saved them (up to 70% is not a sales pitch) and also just as important how well the tool looked after using it. This is a MUST tool for anyone today who wants to compete in the market. You wont be disappointing.